Get 12 Issues a year of the country's best firearms writing. Velo-Dogs were commonly equipped with either a yoke-mounted ejector, though more advanced models offered break-open tip-up or down ejection. velo-dog revolver - The Firing Line Forums This was not as inhumane as it sounded; loads of Cayenne Pepper, lead dust, and wax, wood or cork bullets bullets were available. They even had their own cartridge the 5.5mm Velo-Dog (also variously called the 5.6, 5.75, 5.8, or 6mm Velo-Dog). Velo-dog revolver | Gun Wiki | Fandom Should I bother with them? Velo-Dog Revolver - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies Indeed, packs of feral dogs seem to have been a real problem in Paris and its environs, and for some reason bicycles in particular excited their chase reflex. If you have some tools and are a handy sort you can make your own from .25 ACP cartridges and 1/4 brass tube. Gun makers in Leige, Belgium and Eibar Spain quickly produced their own Velo-Dog revolvers. Blade front sight. Bicycles could not be bothered to carry a large firearm for self-defense and to keep revolver as small as possible, Galand designed it to have a folding trigger and no trigger guard, thus keeping the profile of the gun slim and snag-less. He shot it in NRA Centerfire in lieu of the usual .38 revolver Rules were promptly changed to require at least .32 cal in the future. ), Muzzleloading Modern & Replica Pistols (flint), Muzzleloading Modern & Replica Pistols (perc), United States Patent Firearms Revolvers/Pistols, Century Arms International (CAI) - Shotguns. Casull discontinued manufacturing of the model in 2005, with reportedly less than 1,000 made. Lot 3350: Smith & Wesson .38 Safety Hammerless 5th Model Double Action Revolver with Ultra Rare 1 1/2 "Bicycle" Length Barrel and Factory Letter. The name "Velo-dog" comes from the portmanteau of the words "Velocipede" (an early type of bicycle) and "dog" which alludes to the fact that the Velo-dog was designed to protect cyclists from wild dog attacks. . Some of the cartridges were loaded with cork, pepper or dust shot for those who wished to scare off the animals not harm them. The gun locks up properly, and everything works as it should. Remington's Nylon 66 semi-automatic .22 LR rifles have grown from 1950s bargain buys to 21st century collectors darlings. It also appears that it was made in 1924-25 range. The 'Velo-dog revolver'. - Sniper's Hide Forum Arms catalogues of 1900 1911 etc listed them that way. NRA Museums: Rare Velo Dog .25 cal revolver for sale - Guns International The cartridge, which is a centerfire .22 of slightly less power than a .22 Long Rifle, was responsible for a change in the NRA Pistol Rules. It is 4-1/2" overall with a 1-3/4" barrel. Galand stoked his revolver with six of these cartridges. The bottom loop of the trigger kept hitting my knuckle just as the gun fired, throwing off my aim. The French version of Sears, Manufrance, sold their Dog-chambered models via mail order until the late 1930s for 45 francs (payable in 3 francs a month via layaway.) You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. Learn More{{/message}}, {{#message}}{{{message}}}{{/message}}{{^message}}It appears your submission was successful. British Velo Dog .32 Revolver Folding Trigger - Sep 21, 2019 | Brand Location: Houston area . Revive your antique guns 2.14K subscribers Velo Dog Postman Pistols or Flobert Pistols These small Pistols were made over a hundred years ago in Belgium and France or Germany in the late 1800's. They are blank. Pistols of the World, I.Hogg & J. Would you know what it would be worth? Some are very ornate and include beautiful hard or soft wood grips and engravings. "Velo Dog"? Looking for Info. | National Gun Forum There are people who say that every revolver that sort of looks like a Nagant IS a Nagant. See Sold Price. velo dog pistol value - travelbestieug.com When I get the reloading dies Ill see about working up some loads that mimic the performance of the original cartridge. 5.5 Velo Dog. It begs the question: exactly why did early velocipedists need to carry a gun? When down, it will not fire. Reloading kit for pinfire cartridges Stephanie: You are perhaps thinking of the .221 Askins Centerfire. This kind of gun was made by a variety of different manufacturers over the years, but most have two main components in common: a concealed hammer and a short barrel. Circa: Using The Marks Of Proof On This Gun, Crown,Crown,U, Proof Hose, E. German, Suhl, Type Of Proof And Gun, Inspection Mark, Circa, Since 1950. The name is a compound word composed of "velocipede" and "dog". Made in Belgium. S&W 629 and Colt Anaconda - I now own both. The most prolific production was from the turn of the 20th century to World War I. Yes, a velo dog revolver uses a 5.5 [or 5.7] cartridge. Col. sometimes known as a cyclists or dog pistol. This is a Velo Dog folding trigger revolver. Ill revisit this later when I have more proper ammo. Poor - under 30% condition. In 1894 Rene Galland, a Parisian gunmaker, patented a .22 caliber centerfire cartridge, the 5.5mm Velo-dog, and introduced a series of revolvers that chambered for it. To the adventurous collector exploring this field, it can sometimes seem more challenging to find two alike than to find a new variation. If your gun is on the list you do not need a licence to own it as a 'curio' or 'ornament'. Looks like something somebody made with a drill press and a 2 axis vise. 48 round box. This phenomenon led to the invention and popularity of a unique series of revolversthe Velo Dog. 3. You must log in or register to reply here. No doubt Ill have all sorts of fun developing loads for it and trying to coax unrealistic levels of accuracy out of it. That is one of the issues that reporter that was posted here on a thread about fake news stated. At least the historicaly correct data I researched will be available if someone does a google search. The Velo-Dog was a pocket revolver originally created in France by Charles-Franois Galand in the late 19th century as a defense for cyclists against dog attacks. The barrel and cylinder still retain some of their original bluing, and the frame is color-case hardened, though little of the color remains. The Kolb Baby Hammerless An American Velo-Dog Bird head Style grips. Back to Main Index Let your dog run free; you get what you get. ARIZMENDI HAMMERLESS VELO DOG REVOLVER 6.35MM. This is the gun that was the forefather of the Luger pistol. velo dog pistol value - kedaksempoi.com Homemade Smith And Methson Firearm Unlikely To Catch On With Wyoming Crooks. Mechanism needs repair or adjustment. Only show this user . The Nylon 66, a relatively inexpensive rimfire with faux woodgrain, was the first successful synthetic-stock firearm. Antique Pistols | 1898andB-4.com In use from 1868-1925, this mark was used to show a single final proof with loads designed for temporary or provisional proof. Sellers declare the item's customs value and must comply with customs declaration laws. Michel Ledent (Ml) Liege Velo-Dog 5.5mm Velo Dog Obsolete Calibre 6 1914 German JG Anschutz 'Velodog' Cyclist Pistol The Velo-Dog (also known as a Revolver de Poche[1]) was a pocket revolver originally created in France by Ren Galand, son of Charles-Franois Galand in the late 19th-century as a defense for cyclists against dog attacks. The name is a compound word composed of "velocipede" and "dog".The hammer is shrouded to avoid its snagging on clothing, so the weapon is double action only.All have short barrels and originally fired the 5.75 mm (.22 calibre) Velo . Velo-dog "little revolver" - The Firing Line Forums Get the latest news and reviews from Gundigest.com. There is very minor pitting on the barrel. Long derided as a footnote in firearms development, countless examples have been lost, destroyed or simply scrapped, leaving those that remain highly collectable. A Cold War era classic with smooth lines, a legendary back story, and an exotic-sounding name, Beretta's Model 71 was definitely a mouse that roared. Such production methods were common in small-scale or 'cottage industry'. Velo Dog revolver reloading - Gunloads.com Pre-leash-law free-roaming dogs hated the new-fangled gizmos and were wont to attack rider and vehicle alike! No target to show this time- at five yards a dinner-plate would have about covered the group. I didnt hit the chronograph, so I called it good enough. Many of the weapons have a trigger that folds into the body of the weapon when not in use. Almost as many of us have been chased, at one time or another, by a canine while on said bicycle. The name is a portmanteau of "velocipede" and "dog". Folks who don't know and don't care to know lump things together. This Velo Dog Model is equipped with a 1.7" barrel, fixed sights, wood grip, and a steel frame. And crikey it was loud! [1] The name is a portmanteau of " velocipede " and "dog". Initially, the term was probably applied exclusively to the revolvers chambered for that specific round. The Velo-Dog was a pocket revolver originally created in France by Charles-Franois Galand in the late 19th century as a defense for cyclists against dog attacks. (7mm & 9mm) Nice Belgium made Velo Dog hammerless five-shot folding trigger revolver in .25 ACP. Belgian Velo-Dog Double Action Revolver - CollectorEbooks.com The revolver has a 1.5" barrel a. on Jan 12, 2019. . Forum. FIOCCHI 5.75mm VELO-DOG 43gr FMJ 48rd BOX - COLLECTOR RIFLE & AMMO, Inc. The name "Velo-dog" comes from the portmanteau of the words "Velocipede" (an early type of bicycle) and "dog" which alludes to the fact that the Velo-dog was designed to protect cyclists from wild. Belgian Velo-Dog 22LR Revolver - Used in Fair Condition This is a vintage Belgian Velo-Dog revolver chambered in 22 Long Rifle. Blued, with . The left frame is marked with the letters "F A" over a star over a cresent moon which may be Turkish. Come join the discussion about optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! A 6.35mm double-action revolver with 1.5" barrel, folding trigger and concealed hammer. GABILONDO Y URRESTI > Velo-Dog Revolver. Senior Member . Velo-Dog. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. A demand arose for small pistols which would fit easily in a cyclist's pocket. Learn how your comment data is processed. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Grey patina on the cylinder and barrel. The Velo-Dog seems to have slotted neatly between these two; easier to conceal than the .320 revolvers, but enough larger than the puppies to make it easier to handle, and significantly more powerful as well. All Rights Reserved. {{#message}}{{{message}}}{{/message}}{{^message}}Your submission failed. However, Im unsure on caliber, it could also be chambered in something else, however the majority of Velo-Dog revolvers Ive encountered were 25 ACP. It looks like it was made in Belgium, was imported into England and then France (or vice versa). revolver with a concealed hammer and folding trigger. Ulysses S. Grant's personal set of ornately decorated Remington New Model Army revolvers sold for $5,170,000 by Rock Island Auction. I know nothing, but interested. This is an original closed frame 6 shot, Velo-Dog type revolver has a fluted cylinder and 1 " octagonal barrel (5 . For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. They were originally developed by Charles-FranoisGalandand his sonRen. The round was in current manufacture as late as the 1990s by Fiocchi and others and can be found for display purposes if not for firing. Therefore the hammer is concealed within the frame, preventing it from snagging on the user's pocket when they drew it, ergo the Velo-Dog fires using a double action only mechanism. The Velo-Dog was a pocket revolver originally created in France by Charles-Franois Galand in the late 19th century as a defense for cyclists against dog attacks. Many times, owners loaded cork, cayenne pepper or wax bullets as a less-than-lethal dog deterrent. For this reason, manufacturers of the velo dog quickly changed their barrel configurations to accommodate this new caliber. For sure, first generation velo dogs were 5.5 or what was often called 5.7 or 6mm velo dog charges. Join Date: October 26, 2005. During the era in which hammerless pocket pistols grew in popularity, human-powered wheeled transportation was undergoing a similar development period. Coat this section with soldering flux and gently tap it into a section of 1/4 diameter thin-walled brass tube. Velo-Dog Revolver. Bullets would then be loaded one at a time as the cylinder was rotated. Retaining 85% + original finish with much peacock bluing. Whatever you want to call it it's not what well informed collectors do. Login Back. Semi-smokeless proof for all guns in use since 1904. 5.5mm Velo-Dog revolver (W&M) 5.6mm x 34R Francotte Carbine (D) 5.6mm x 33 Rook (B) 6mm Beaumont revolver (W&M) 6mm Merveilleux (W&M) 6mm Protector (W&M) 6mm Lee Navy (Hu) For those with soft hearts, there were also loads that replaced the lead bullet with wax, olive wood, or cork. It appears to be a 25 ACP Velo-Dog Revolver. Single diamond checkered wood grips. You mean a "11" stamped where, at the rear of the cylinder next to one of the chambers? The owner, manager, and primary engineer, Charles-Franois Galand, designed several innovative and popular revolvers for military and civilian defense purposes. Item Overview Description SERIAL NUMBER 14 BARREL 1-1/4" CALIBER 6.35 VELO DOG CF. S# 40. Auction ends Sunday, Sept. 15th. In 2023 a new or used Galand Velo-Dog Revolver value varies depending on supply and demand. Some companies manufactured arms under a variety of different names. New in box - 100% condition in unopened box. VELO-DOG REVOLVER 5.5mm Gun Firearms PHOTO CARD Cyclists Defense Against Dogs. As C3 notes, this really was a common practice around Lige, the centre of gun-making in Belgium, and home of Fabrique Nationale, one of the most famous small arms manufacturers in Europe, then and now. Why do people do this? The first bicycle with pedals emerged in the mid-1850s. A lot of special interest groups with money post and bombard the social media waves with half truths or out right lies and unless you are an intelligent individual and can think for yourself than you won't buy into everything that is on the internet. Interesting traditional double action revolver designed for self-defense against dogs while riding bicycles. There are even people who call every handgun a revolver, even if it's a semi-auto. If it WAS made there, then by law it is supposed to be stamped with at least some of the proof marks C3 has shown. The Velo-Dog was designed to be used in defence against wild dog attacks when the user . Manufactured By For this reason, my website includes both calibers as legitimate velo dog charges, though the 6,35 might be considered 'second generation'. There is, of course, no perceptible recoil and with these low-powered loads the report was quite mild. Must function properly and shoot. It looks a lovely little antique and is going for cheapish. While both the Tue Tue and the LeNovo were popular, concealable weapons, they were still too large for comfortable carry by a young man on a velocipede. Now I have a hang on the naming schema of these types of pistol I want a BABY Browning <g> Get the 76th edition of the World's Greatest Gun Book. On average, a Velodog revolver in good condition can be worth anywhere between $200 and $400. Velo-Dog Revolvers Developed in the late 19th - Historical Firearms Make sure the ignition-hole is clear, drilling with a 1/16 drill if needed, and cut the tube to produce a cartridge 1.12 long including the rim. By the 1870s, the colorful high-wheel bicycle gained popularity among young men with a sense of adventure, good balance, and a certain disregard for its inherent dangers. They all have one or more of three specific features concealed hammer, folding spur-trigger, and manual safety. When I dress Western, nothing beats the classic good looks of my Smith & Wesson (S&W) 586 .357 revolver. I attributed this to my large fingers, but later realized I was holding the gun wrong, and by shifting my grip upwards slightly it would not longer do that which will doubtless improve my accuracy. The 5.5mm Velo-Dog originated in France in 1894. He was a Frenchman with a workshop in Liege, Belgium (a centre for arms manufacture). Velo-dog | Military Wiki | Fandom You are using an out of date browser. How does it work? Antique Pistols and Handguns for Sale | Collectors Firearms Scads of these type of guns were made, often with no markings beyond the legally-required proofs, making them difficult to research today. Charles-Franois Galand - Wikipedia Unfortunately for every 1 of us with a working brain there are 10000 that believe every thing that is written. A forum community dedicated to all firearm owners and enthusiasts. I think ill save myself some time, stick you on ignore, and leave this thread.. You just want to argue. GABILONDO Y URRESTI Velo-Dog Revolver :: Gun Values by Gun Digest German Velo-Dog Revolver 320 Barrell Length 1.75" Serial #. Model Velo-Dog 5.5mm Velo Dog Obsolete Calibre 6 Shot Revolver With Folding Trigger & Manufactured Year Victorian Era Antique yes Certificate No Licence Barrel length 1 1/2 inches Overall length 5 inches Your reference 17072 Gun Status Activated Recommended Usage Collection item Description Most of the small revolvers they produced were Baby Bulldogs, small versions of the British bulldog style revolvers in .320 Revolver, or Puppies chambered in .22 Short. Velo-Dog Revolvers | The Firearms Forum The name is a portmanteau of "velocipede" and "dog". I guess flat-faced triggers were not in then. Excellent - 95%+ condition with or without box. The checkered horn grips are undamaged. Related Items: HORNADY 338 RCM 225gr SST 20rd BOX OBSOLETE AMMO 577/450 MARTINI-HENRY 480gr PP BULLET 5rd BAG Velo-dog Revolver - Firearms identification - Bev Fitchett's Guns 7.65 Borchardt caliber with a 7" barrel. Following, Someday I will hit a gong at a mile.. 9mil, ------------------------------------------------, There are 2 number 1s stamped to a bullet hole and no marks under the handle. Belgian Velo-Dog Double Action Revolver Serial no undet. Poor $ 0000. Save my name and email to use for future comments. Find Gun Values | Grading System | Login Back. This proved sufficient given the almost non-existent recoil of this load. Developed in the late 19th century by French-Belgian Gunmakers Galand the Velo-Dog revolvers were aimed at the burgeoning cyclist market.
Body Found In Park, Cornerstone Funeral Home Rocky Mount Nc Obituaries Today, How Many Grammys Does Janet Jackson Have, Fake Nitro Gift Link Copy And Paste, Articles V