All rights reserved. powered by finalsite About Us Meeting Schedule / Notices / Agendas/ Meeting Summaries. The community has referenced that a large majority of families elected to start school in a full face-to-face model. I was part of that majority. The meeting schedule for the Finance, Operations, and Advancement (FOA) committee and Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment (CIA) committee are available by clicking the link below. Oconomowoc School Board meets following abrupt resignation of 3 - CBS58 Place An Ad - Call 262-306-5000/email: Conleyclass@conleynet.com, Three Oconomowoc School Board members resign, cite toxic board behavior, Cite hyper political, partisan culture as reason for stepping down, Submit an Obituary Wash. & Oz. The effort against members Juliet Steitzer, Kim Herro, and Scott Roehl began on September 17, 2020. Schlesingers Saturday Spotlight (3/4)String Art, 80s Prom Shower chances on/off this weekend with winter weather late in Milwaukee native Ernie Johnson, Jr. honored with Award of Excellence Drop your guns, pick up our gloves: Boxing club uses movie Route 20 holds benefit concert for human trafficking victims. Contact info: 920-474-7796;thielw@oasd.org. Voters in the Oconomowoc, Shorewood and North Lake school districts . "We are going to still going to continue to maintain, continue to work and continue to do what we can to make the Oconomowoc Area School District an unrivaled place and an unrivaled educational environment," said Roehl. Kaukl worries that in addition to the health impacts to kids and staff, the vicious disagreements and overriding of best practices around health will drive out the people who keep schools up and running. TWEET. Since there is no ability to engage in meaningful dialogue, even on the issue of the health and safety of our students and staff, we cannot be part of an organization that is so non-responsive to every constituents concerns, not just a minority segment, and is so cavalier about our students, staffs and communitys health and safety, the letter states. I believe that as representatives of the community the board should always have time to hear people out and I appreciate the board making that change now that I am there. Alexandra Schweitzer garnered 3,200 votes and was followed by Steitzer with 3,010. Application Contact Phone. The work to avoid faction-based political infighting starts now. Three Oconomowoc School Board members resign, cite toxic board behavior The board voted 4-3 to choose him over Grothaus, who had served in the role for the year prior. The candidates are (top row, left to right):Andrew Anderson,Neal Ninmann (i),Sandy Schick (i); (bottom row, left to right)Paula Schmitz,Chad E. Schraufnagel (i) andBill Thiel (i). Community members launched a recall effort against three of the board members who voted for hybrid learning, including Herro. That day, I felt a moral obligation to step up to the plate and help stop this insanity in our school communities. Then in November, board member Scott Roehl left after moving out of the district and saying in a Facebook post that he and his family did not feel safe in their home. Of those priorities, what should the district focus on and why? In addition, their negligence to ensure that the district provides the best educational opportunities to maximize the achievement of our students will have significant and lasting effects on our community. A majority voted to keep requiring masks indoors through the end of the year, though kids could ditch them when they were outside. Incumbent Juliet Steitzer was unseated in the election by challenger Matt Carrico. We need to be smart with our tax dollars and do more with less. Schick:Our resilient district has improved our ability to provide virtual learning during the challenges of the COVID pandemic. We no longer employ consultants to work with the board on how to be board members. Oconomowoc School Board member Roehl to step down next week School Board Meetings and Agendas Meeting Schedules. Roehl said he also preferred an in-person learning model, but that it needed to be phased in to ensure the safety of students and staff. A majority voted to keep requiring masks indoors through the end of the year, though kids could ditch them when they were outside. I will continue this trend of performance if electedto the board in April. "Thank you for those who supported my campaign. Only ONE is too many, but the actual numbers are alarming! Herro was in the last year of her term, which expired April 2022. 2023 www.jsonline.com. Therefore, the district must follow the Strategic Plan and will be monitored by the documented metrics. E- Excellence- Excellence in everything we do. The district has a focus on developing learners and leaders and the board has a responsibility to support that focus with policy and financial stewardship. I started to become interested in the school board position last year during the recall. "Its like, whos the adult here?". Steitzer became a board member in 2018 and said this year's election became overwhelmingly partisan. He said what boards are seeing with COVID-19 disputes is similar, but with a key difference. "I would just like to thank them for their service to the Oconomowoc Area School District," said board member Scott Roehl. Ballot measures, Who represents me? In previous decades, concerns about the teaching of sex education and evolution, as well as issues like school vouchers, have prompted angry public discourse and division among school board members. Address: N56 W35146 Pondview Lane, Oconomowoc Past political experience: Current board member Community involvement: Current school board member, former Oconomowoc rec league coach.. A- Accountability- Do what you say you are going to do. Having said that, we are still losing some of our students to other districts and other schools. Schmitz:A lady sat next to me on my flight back from a conference in Florida last November and told me she was traveling with a group of five school mothers on a first vacation together since 2020. Thiel:You might not know this, but Oconomowoc has a separate special curriculum for those that want to be completely virtual, and I think that is a great program for those who have selected it. Roehl said the climate surrounding school board meetings has become polarizing amid the pandemic and debates over safety. Covid mitigation methods are what now-former board members expressed concern about in submitting resignation letters this week. The results are not official until they are canvassed. The effort against members Juliet Steitzer, Kim Herro, and Scott Roehl began on September 17, 2020. "If people step forward and Im very hopeful that theres enough good people out there that will do that then the good quality work for kids can continue. I sought a September appointment and received the appointment. Ballotpedia features 395,577 encyclopedic articles written and curated by our professional staff of editors, writers, and researchers. Job Openings at Weigel Broadcasting Milwaukee. Schick:I applied for the school board vacancy when the three board members resigned. Stay informed with WPR's email newsletter. Youre not an expert on everything, youre not there to manage the day-to-day operations of the district.". Schraufnagel:I was appointed to the OASD Board of Education in September of 2021 after three board members decided to quit in August of 2021. There is a place for some virtual learning, but I will always work with our district to provide in-person learning whenever possible. [8] The impact of an amazing teacher is immeasurable, and weve all had teachers in our past that were less than exceptional. Additionally, we are lacking a significant strategic initiative to address why families who live in our district are actively opting out of keeping their children at our schools. I was so disappointed that at many of these meetings there was no opportunity for the community to speak. Kim Kaukl, president of the Wisconsin Rural Schools Alliance, said his member districts mostly opened fully in-person right away last school year largely because limited access to the internet meant virtual learning wasnt feasible. Were losing some really good people because of the contentiousness, and Im concerned that we may lose some more teachers in the process, or more administrators, that we already know we have a shortage of. To get the recall on the ballot, recall supporters had to collect signatures from voting-age citizens who lived within the school district in 60 days. School board members are responsible for providing quality education to all students in the Oconomowoc Area School District; educational opportunities provided by the Oconomowoc Area School District should develop individuals who can lead productive and responsible roles in our community and society; the Oconomowoc Area School District contains a varied population who must be represented regardless of home location (urban and rural), family income, and family heritage; The School Board needs to ensure accountability and financial responsibility; School Board Members need to be open-minded, independent thinkers who are willing to challenge the district to maximize potential; The School Board needs to plan for the future. The district needs to continue moving to unrivaled. Apply today! What programs or initiatives are most important to you? Ninmann:If elected, my priorities will remain that of supporting through policy, our district administration, teachers, staff and studentsas we focus on our strategic plan, graduate profile and fiscal responsibilities. The three members have stepped down, citing how the Oconomowoc Area School District has been pulled into partisan culture wars., Because of the dysfunctional and disrespectful behavior of the remaining Board members and interim superintendent, Board work has become toxic and impossible to do, the letter states. You have permission to edit this article. First off, sell MeadowviewSchool. This is where all of the OASD Board of Education videos will be posted. If we fail to support the best teachers, then we will miss them when they are gone. A good number pleading with the board to require masks, few for mask-choice. State and local courts | Three candidates remain in the search for a new Oconomowoc School Board Superintendent.
Stuffed Tatume Squash Recipes, Heavner & Cutright Funeral Home, 50g Uncooked Quinoa Calories, Rmv Brockton Make An Appointment, Ashley Collins Bio, Articles O