Shake was the first of many smashes that the Gap Band recorded for Simmons label; in 1979 and the early- to mid-80s, the trio was huge thanks to a string of major hits that also included I Dont Believe You Want to Get Up and Dance (Oops), Steppin Out, Burn Rubber, Humpin, You Dropped a Bomb on Me, Early in the Morning, Outstanding, and Party Train.. Simmons founded the influential R&B label Total Experience in the 70s, and hit the ground running by signing the Tulsa, Oklahoma act, The Gap Band, featuring the three Wilson brothers. Lonnie Simmons (December 12, 1944 - February 6, 2019) was an American record producer from Los Angeles, California. He is founder and president of the nowdefunct Total Experience Records. Lonnie Simmons operated an LA nightclub in the mid-1970s called The Total Experience. The funk outfit was revitalized on IV, with three of the album's eight songs scoring mightily on the U.S. R&B chart. With no acts remaining, Lonnie dropped out of music, and his company turned to motion picture and video production. Lonnie Simmons Profile: Producer, songwriter and record label executive, founded the influential R&B label Total Experience Records in the 70s. The Yarbrough and Peoples hit would become a major smash, spending a total of five weeks at No. I dare say that without Lonnies influence, whatever that may be, we wouldnt have heard of the Gap Band. 84 on the Hot 100), but yielded bigger fruit by propelling its parent album to platinum status. 3 soul, 5 weeks; No. I bought a vehicle that has a salvage title and I need to As a composer, he co-wrote several #1 R&B songs for his label's major acts, The Gap Band and Yarbrough and Peoples. With No. Their first Total Experience-produced single, 1979's "Shake", went to #4 on the R&B charts. Lonnie Simmons operated an LA night Later in 1984, the Gap Band released Gap Band VI, which included Simmons co-penned hit Beep A Freak, another gimmick-filled song (with lots of beeps) that peaked at No. 1 . Lonnie helped a lot of people quietly and that is a fact!. Lonnie Simmons: The Man Who Brought The Gap Band Musical Stardom Has By the middle of 1980, with Oops Up SideYour Head being a club and radio mainstay, The Gap Band were now bonafide hitmakers. The band, consisting of twelve members, was reduced officially to the three Wilson brothers. According to our Database, He has no children. In the 1970s, Lonnie Simmons operated a club on Crenshaw Boulvevard in South Central Los Angeles called The Total Experience, similar to the West-Hollywood Roxy Theatre. Lonnie Simmons, the man who brought Charlie Wilson and The Gap Band to the world has died. Boasting the smash hit Shake, that self-titled LP made the Gap Band superstars. Legendary producer, songwriter and record label executive Lonnie Simmons, best known for his role in the emergence of The Gap Band, has died, causes unknown. When they released The Gap Band II late in 1979, a song Simmons co-wrote with the Wilson brothers, "Oops Up Side Your Head", not only matched the success of "Shake" on the R&B charts, reaching #4 also, but exceeded it by propelling the album to over half-a-million in sales. (The club made several appearances in movies like Dolemite and Black Fist. 1 soul, 2 weeks; No. DJ Rogers Jr. on Apple Music . Robert was just 14 when the band gained acclaim in Tulsa, Oklahoma. They featured Cuba Gooding, The Dramatics, Side Effect, The Young Hearts, The Stylistics, The Delfonics, The Gap Band, DJ Rogers, and many more. Soul Masters: BBR Reissues Edwin Starr, Gap Band, Yarbrough and Peoples Because Simmons was a successful, R&B-oriented entrepreneur and label owner, there were those who compared him to Dick Griffey (president of Solar Records) and the Kenneth Gamble/Leon Huff team (who founded the '70s gold mine known as Philadelphia International Records). (The club made several appearances in movies like Dolemite and Black Fist.) 0: 0-Private player. Simmons founded the influential R&B label Total Experience in the 70s, and hit the ground running by signing the Tulsa, Oklahoma act, The Gap Band, featuring the three Wilson brothers. #crenshaw. Lonnie Paige Simmons With profound sorrow, we join the Simmons Family in announcing the death of Lonnie Paige Simmons, 93, of the Belgrade Community, Maysville, who departed this life on Monday, January 17, 2022. Total Experience Record Label Founder Lonnie Simmons Dies Of Causes Unknown By: LATF Staff Member Music February 11, 2019, 11:09 pm Several reports have surfaced regarding the passing of legendary producer, songwriter and record label executive Lonnie Simmons, best known for his role in the emergence of The Gap Band, has died, causes unknown. After using his clubs earnings to buy a Los Angeles recording studio in the late 70s, Simmons fortunes changed forever when he met an unknown group from Tulsa, Oklahoma named the Greenwood, Archer and Pine Band (named after three of the citys famous streets). Lonnie Simmons (December 12, 1944 - February 6, 2019) was an American record producer from Los Angeles, California. It originally began in 1977 as a production company whose albums were released by Mercury Records before becoming a label in 1981. Community Optimistic After Former Total Experience Building Burned on I help clients deal with traffic tickets on a weekly basis. By the end of the decade, Total Experience shut down, but not before staking its claim as one of the truly great funk labels of the 80s. It was Simmons own Dont Stop The Music, making him one of very few people to ever write and produce consecutive No. Died on February 6, 2019. His debut album, Call Me Goodie, peaked at #31 R&B. At this point, we dont have any details regarding his health before his death, but Simmons was said to be in his mid -70s. Just happens I was listening to some Gap band 12 promos from the club. The Los Angeles resident started making a name for himself in the R&B world in the '70s, when he operated a South Central L.A. nightclub called the Total Experience (which was located on Crenshaw Boulevard, one of the most famous thoroughfares in L.A.'s African-American community). The Gap Band's 1983 release, Gap Band V: Jammin' (#2 R&B, #28 Billboard 200), saw Simmons take a reduced writing/producing role; he co-wrote only one song. He was founder and president of the now-defunct Total Experience Records. well CHARLIE WILSON often said his producer was bankrolling him and his brothers during his solo career and said Charlie was nothing without him .and drove him poor. Get peer reviews and client ratings averaging 3.9 of 5.0. The arc of Simmons success turned in the late 80s, as other Total Experience signings were less successful and as The Gap Band hits slowed down. Total Experience Records was a record label founded by Lonnie Simmons. One of the labels first signings was the Gap Band, who Simmons met through soul singer DJ Rogers (known for his 1975 smash, Say You Love Me). 10. 19) on the Billboard pop chart, while selling a million copies in the process. Simmons also owned a recording studio in the '70s, and by the end of the decade, he founded Total Experience Records (which landed a distribution deal with Mercury/Polygram). As a composer, he cowrote several 1 RB songs for his label's major acts, The Gap Band and Yarbrough and Peoples. Log in or sign up for Facebook to connect with friends, family and people you know. Simmons went on to work in movie production, with a much quieter public profile. 1 single, Dont Waste Your Time, topped the soul list in May of that year and nearly returned them to the top 40 of the pop chart as well (No. The Gap Band, The Gap Band IV in High-Resolution Audio Lonnie had a recording studio in the building and produced hits on The Gap Band, Yarbrough and Peoples, Switch and more. Meanwhile, Yarbrough and Peoples got married and moved back to Texas, and Goodie quit. One of the label's first signings was the Gap Band, who Simmons met through soul singer DJ Rogers (known for his 1975 smash, "Say You Love Me"). Total Experience Records was a record label founded by Lonnie Simmons. DJd at Total Experience. As a composer, he co-wrote several #1 R&B songs for his label's major acts, The Gap Band and Yarbrough and Peoples . Lonnie C. Simmons - Charleston, WV - Lawyer | Best Lawyers Thealbum would become the bands second No. Looking for Lonnie Simmons online? Whether he was co-writer, producer or executive producer, or as founder and owner of Total Experience Productions and later Total Experience Records, Lonnies mark was all over the Gap Bands music. One of the labels first signings was the Gap Band, who Simmons met through soul singer DJ Rogers (known for his 1975 smash, Say You Love Me). After Simmons switched Total Experience from Polygrams distribution arm to that of RCA Records in late 1984 and with him now having more than a dozen acts signed to the label who werent having nearly the success that the Gap Band and Yarbrough and Peoples were having Simmons good fortunes began to run out. ), an eight-minute, straight-up funk jam that, in 1980, matched the No. ) (1980); (No. Lonnie Simmons Lyrics, Songs, and Albums | Genius Billy Paul - Lately Album Reviews, Songs & More | AllMusic The duo Yarborough & Peoples were also produced by Lonnie Simmons and recorded his songs on the Total Experience label. The 50 greatest moments in electric guitar history | Guitar World Unfortunately, after being closed for years, the club burned to the ground on January 20, 2021, 2 years after Lonnies death. [3] Charlie convinced Lonnie to give the couple a chance, which paid off in 1980, when they released the song "Don't Stop the Music", which topped the R&B charts. DFS NBA Full Court Press: FanDuel & DraftKings Main Slate - Mar. 3rd He is a songwriter, producer, manager and owner of Total Experience Records. Yarbrough and Peoples | SoulTracks - Soul Music Biographies, News and The signing hit immediate pay dirt with the 1979 hit Shake. The Gap Band followed later that same year with the top smash Oops Upside Your Head, which Simmons co-wrote, and which had a bit of a second life a couple years ago, when Simmons and company received co-writing credits on the Mark Ronson/Bruno Mars hit Uptown Funk, for that songs similarity to Oops., With The Gap Band driving Total Experience forward, Simmons then signed the duo Yarbrough and Peoples, who went on to a successful recording career and the #1 hit Dont Stop the Music. Through the first half of the 1980s, it seemed that Total Experience could do no wrong, as The Gap Band and Simmons teamed for hit after hit such as Outstanding, You Dropped A Bomb On Me, and Early In the Morning. (The club made several appearances in movies like Dolemite and Black Fist.) Lonnie Henry Simmons Obituary With heavy hearts, we announce the death of Lonnie Henry Simmons (Charlotte, North Carolina), who passed away on May 8, 2021 at the age of 84. Proudly powered by WordPress 103 pop), Guilty Yarbrough and Peoples (1986); (No. Gap Band IV was released in early 1982 and spawned three singles, which all peaked in the top-40 on the dance charts and top-2 on the R&B songs: #1 "Early in the Morning", #2 "You Dropped a Bomb on Me" (both of which Simmons helped write), and #1 "Outstanding", the first two of which Simmons wrote. TOTAL EXPERIENCE, INC. in Hollywood, CA | Company Info & Reviews Total Experience Records - Wikiwand Simmons then launched his production company, and met the Gap Band through a friend, singer D. J. Rogers. That formula had worked for Total Experience and the Gap Band for three years and wasnt about to end now. We have estimated As a composer, he co-wrote several #1 R&B songs for his label's major acts, The Gap Band and Yarbrough and Peoples. 1 rankings of the first two Thriller singles, The Girl Is Mine and Billie Jean.. He was founder and president of the now-defunct Total Experience Records. Black Music & Entertainment Walk of Fame (PICS), Beasley Media Group Fayettevilles WKML-FM Studio Named in Honor Danny Highsmith, De La Soul Performs at The DA.I.S.Y. The Gap Band wasn't the only well-known act that recorded for Simmons' label in the '80s; Total Experience Records was also the home of the male/female duo Yarbrough & Peoples, who weren't as big as the Gap Band but did enjoy major hits with "Don't Stop the Music" in 1980, "Don't Waste Your Time" in 1984, and "Guilty" in 1985. 2.28. He graduated from UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN / HOSPITAL AND CLINICS in 2002. He started his legal career as a writ clerk at the West Virginia Supreme Court in 1982, before spending five years as a personal clerk for West Virginia Supreme Court Justice Thomas B. Miller. 181 satisfied customers. Last edited on 17 September 2022, at 03:58, Learn how and when to remove this template message, Burn Rubber on Me (Why You Wanna Hurt Me), "Lonnie Simmons: The Man Who Discovered The Gap Band Has Died", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Lonnie_Simmons&oldid=1110720171, This page was last edited on 17 September 2022, at 03:58. Lonnie Simmons (December 12, 1944 - February 6, 2019) was an American record producer from Los Angeles, California. The success of Shake propelled Simmons and the Gap Band to the next level, and by the end of the year, they had released their second collaboration The Gap Band II, which included two songs Simmons co-wrote: their second top-10 hit, Steppin (Out), and the ubiquitous I Dont Believe You Want To Get Up And Dance (Oops, Up Side Your Head! Find your friends on Facebook. Lonnie Simmons (72) Defensive Lineman - 2006: Simmons moved to defense and spent the season as a reserve defensive lineman. 1 soul, 1 week; No. Eventually, in 1987, after several more underperforming albums, the Gap Band left and Total Experience closed its doors for good. 60 on the pop chart (and No. The Pulse of Entertainment: Jazz Pianist Melvin Johnson Debuts with Little Chris Rock Jokes Enjoying Watching Will Smith Get Whipped in Emancipation Chris Rock Jokes Enjoying Watching Will Smith Get Whipped in Emancipation + Nivea, Tamar Braxton, Evelyn Lozada & More | PicsVideos, The Moment Tamar & Toni Learn Chaka Khan Sings Reading Rainbow Theme Yung Miami is About Self-love in 2023 & More | PicsVideos, Tatyana Ali Says New Bel-Air Role is Full Circle Moment Adrienne Bailon Covers Harpers Bazaar & More | PicsVideos, CeCe Winans Says Whitney Houstons Im Every Woman is Demonic + Joe Bully Budden Talks BS About Michael B. Jordan & More | PicsVideos, Travis Scott WANTED by NYPD Drew Sidora (RHOA) & Hubby File Divorce Papers on Each Other + More | PicsVideos, City of Houston, Residents Honored for National Water Challenge. 1. The latter album went gold, while the former went platinum, selling over a million copies. Lonnie Simmons Profiles | Facebook 51 pop), Dont Waste Your Time Yarbrough and Peoples (1984); (No. Login or Create Account My Page Collection Wishlist Messages . He took all their money and credit for songs!! It originally began in 1977 as a production company whose albums were released by Mercury Records before becoming a label in 1981. Lonnie Simmons: The Man who Discovered the Gap Band Has Died
Sims 4 Improved Relationships Mod, Bt Sport Presenter Sacked, Unidentified Female Body Found 2021, Articles L