I dont know if youve been on the highway recently, but theres a lot more traffic on the highway today than there would have been last May and June. But here, Lansing basically jumps over those disclaimers using the lame attribution of private citizen.. Lansing says even that proved overly optimistic. CEO John Lansing discusses NPRs diversity efforts, budget deficit and growing podcast competition. And so in late 2019 we began working on a set of priorities for the calendar year 2020 that included promoting Keith Woods to chief diversity officer; putting more energy behind our effort to have 100% sourcing and notating the diversity of our sources; and hiring, leadership, unconscious bias training, et cetera. Lansing blamed a slowdown in advertising dollars. Vegas PBS General Manager, Tom Axtell, announces his retirement. Or 'How are we doing on the North Star?' Now with the magazine shows on weekdays were about 20% behind last year, which is a significant improvement over where we were about eight months ago. Lansing, who is . NPR's Incoming Chief Dumped $10M In Stock Amid SEC Probe While At Prior It was a reckoning for all of us together collectively at NPR. And so I had a very visceral reaction to that happening in my hometown, and that it was so egregious the murder of an innocent person captured on video, on a phone. If it's not being solved from the top down, it shouldn't be a burden for people just trying to build their career. "I don't anticipate that it would be like a haircut across every division, because that's just not management," Lansing says. After Lansing hopped over to NPR from USAGM in 2019, NPR had to be prompted by outside critics to include disclaimers on its USAGM/VOA stories to note Lansings past USAGM role. And our work began then. Tech companies that also rely heavily on advertising are undergoing layoffs too. The other is the fight for donors. LANSING, John, Jr., (Uncle of Gerrit Yates Lansing), a Delegate from New York; born in Albany, N.Y., January 30, 1754; studied law in Albany and in New York City; was admitted to the bar in 1775; secretary to General Schuyler 1776 and 1777; engaged in the practice of law in Albany in 1778; member of the State assembly 1781-1784, 1786, and 1789, and served as speaker in 1786 and 1789; Member of . To be a part of creating the future of such an important institution is humbling, exciting, and a distinct honor.". Lansing: I guess I would comment just as a citizen watching from outside. Yet Mr. Mohns tenure was also marked by a sexual harassment scandal involving a senior news executive whom he had hired and a labor clash with hundreds of union workers. I think there's an awareness, like in the way you asked the question about 'our North Star.' In Mr. Mohns first full year on the job, NPR operated in the black after having run a deficit for five of the six preceding years. The newsroom currently stands at just shy of 490 people, while programming has shot up to 230. Lansing, who is 62, is. During the depths of the Covid-19 pandemic, NPR was at risk of laying off staff when sponsors canceled their spots on the network, said John Lansing, NPR's chief executive. As I said, its hiring, its emphasis on diversity in leadership, diversity in sources, diversity in voices, diversity in the stories we tell, training around our organization. Mike Morgan/Mike Morgan 2016 John Lansing leading a moderated a discussion with the members of the International Media Coordinating Council (ICC) about a unified strategy for the future. As we got to April of last spring, we saw a massive deficit develop for NPR on the order of about $25 million. All of that is to say that coming out of the reckoning of Memorial Day 2020 was for us and for me, in particular, a call to action internally at NPR to hear and reckon with our own issues internally. 2017-2022. The union represents 570 people at NPR. Experts say the behavior could have constituted insider trading. Being selective, having mentors both white and people of color mentors that you can have confidential conversations with and gain some thoughts to help you develop your strategy, standing up for yourself which essentially is what happened at NPR through the climate survey and holding leaders accountable for everything. NPR Cuts Executive Pay as Corporate Sponsors' Payments Fall When will that freeze be lifted? John Lansing is a former Obama appointee who was named president and CEO of NPR on Thursday. John Lansing Email & Phone Number - National Pu.. | ZoomInfo He is credited with restoring morale, in part by naming a noted journalist as head of the Voice of America: Amanda Bennett is a former top news executive at the Philadelphia Inquirer who previously held senior newsroom jobs at Bloomberg News and The Wall Street Journal. 5 takeaways from the massive layoffs hitting Big Tech right now, the network announced $20 million in cuts, NPR to impose near-freeze on hiring but avoids layoffs as budget cuts loom, NPR chief news executive Nancy Barnes to depart as network reshapes top ranks, January is often a big month for layoffs. The network had run deficits in six of the seven previous years; under Mohn, it has achieved a slight surplus for each year during his tenure, even as the annual budget grew by more than 40%. NPR's total workforce has grown by about 50 percent since before that crisis. First of all, as a white man, my first reaction is that it's important for white people in general to understand the inherent biases that we have, even when we think we don't, unconsciously. And so that was the way I looked at the future for me. You have shows like All Things Considered and Morning Edition, which will continue to be broadcasting tent poles, Mr. Lansing said. NPR's chief executive announced the network would lay off roughly 10% of its . Lansing Last year brought a host of challenges to NPR: a multimillion-dollar deficit, calls for changes in its workplace culture and a hit to broadcast listening. Current: How have your priorities for NPR changed since you became CEO? That's something that perceptive journalists should be able to pick up pretty quickly. What is the outlook for the rest of the fiscal year? He was responsible for strategic and operational oversight and P&L of the $2.5 billion division of Scripps Networks Interactive, including the company's portfolio of six cable networks Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, DIY, Cooking Channel and Great American Country and the $100 million Scripps Networks Digital division. You have stated that DEI is your top priority at NPR. Certainly in the aftermath of the George Floyd murder on Memorial Day weekend, our efforts accelerated and we doubled down on communication, training and listening. Coming into public media, which I love, I noticed something that would be unusual in commercial media, in that there really wasnt a great investment in marketing podcasting to outside audiences off of our platforms. Both Lansing and Sheikholeslami say he is adamant about pressing forward with reforms to the workplace culture at NPR that Mayor has already started to put in place. Live from. Lansing is a media executive with a deep understanding of journalism, having spent two decades as an award-winning journalist, successful newsroom leader and major market local media executive before becoming a global chief executive officer. John Lansing Jr. - Wikipedia Were still looking at a deficit, but were hopeful that by the time we get into March, well have a pretty clear-eyed view of how the year is going to end up. "Management is about committing to strategy, making tough decisions.". During that financial crisis, NPR shut down shows and laid off scores of people. Copyright 2023. National Public Radio will reduce its workforce by 10 percent as it grapples with what CEO John Lansing says is a "sharp . Four years ago, Lansing was named by President Barack Obama to be the first chief executive of the broadcasting outfit that was renamed the U.S. Agency for Global Media. John Lansing, NPR's President and CEO, defended Kelly last weekend during an interview on NPR's All Things Considered program, saying that Kelley "is one of the most respected, truthful . So its a constant commitment to communication, to training, to accountability. NPR has a new CEO. I had no idea what was out there. How has that effort been progressing? "And we finally got to the point where there was nothing really that we could cut big enough to fill a hole like that.". John Lansing, a media executive with government broadcast and cable television experience, has been named by NPR's board to succeed its current chief, Jarl Mohn who announced the plan to step down after his 5-Year term ended. Londons Investment Appeal Is Unraveling as Arm Heads to the US, Climate Change Is Launching a MutantSeed Space Race, British Parents Turn to Home Equity to Help Young Buy Property, Sorry, Fed, Most US Mortgage Rates Were Locked in During Pandemic Lows, Fed Says MoreRate Hikes Are Needed to Curb Inflation, Mitsubishi Signs $1.9b Commuter Rail Deal With Manila: Nikkei, Amazon Is Closing Its Cashierless Stores in NYC, San Francisco and Seattle, US-Sanctioned Huawei Makes a Show of Force at Mobile Conference, The UK Is Using Drones to Prosecute Small-Boat Migrant Smugglers, Russia Is Getting Round Sanctions to Secure Supply of Key Chips for Ukraine War, Philippine governor killed by gunmen while meeting villagers, An Emboldened Rishi Sunak Gets Ready to Fight His Own Party Over Taxes, Harrods Shrugs Off Recession Fears as Rich Get Richer, FT Says, Wealthy NYC Family Feuds Over $258 Million Madison Avenue Sale, Tom Sizemore, 'Saving Private Ryan' Actor, Dies at 61, The Exhibit Reality TV Show PittingArtist Against ArtistIs No Masterpiece, Matt HancockWhatsApp LeakExposes theNeed for Covid Justice, Brexit Might Have Been Prevented With Deals Like This, Video Roundup: Opinions Must-See Footage of the Week, YellowstoneBackers Wanted to Cash OutThen the Streaming Bubble Burst, How Countries Leading on Early Years of Child Care Get It Right, Female Execs Are Exhausted, Frustrated and Heading for the Exits, No Major Offer Expected on Childcare in UK Budget, Biden Gives Medal of Honor to Trailblazing Special Forces Member, UK Braces for Rare Weather Event That Risks Late-Winter Freeze, Panic Over Metals for EVs Goes All the Way to Automakers C-Suites, What Do You Want to See in a Covid Memorial? From 2015 to 2019, Lansing served as the CEO of the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM), the independent federal agency whose programming reaches an average weekly audience of 345 million people in 62 languages. Lansing: Its on social media platforms or YouTube or through media partnerships. Pat O'Donnell, the executive director of the union's Mid-Atlantic unit, could not be reached for comment for this story. Faces of NPR: John Lansing : NPR Extra : NPR - NPR.org This is simply disingenuous. When asked about his priorities, Lansing invoked what he has called the network's "North Star'' since his arrival in the fall of 2019: a push to ensure the network has a bigger and broader audience base, rooted in younger and more diverse listeners, readers and consumers. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. I subscribe to the notion of leadership as a servant leader, that the role of leaders is to support the team to do their best work. NPR CEO Defends Journalist After Pompeo Lashes Out Over Ukraine NPR has also been the nation's leading producer of podcasts since Podtrac started measuring audiences. Lansing: Everybodys at a different place with DEI depending on where they stand, whether thats a person who is white and doesnt understand how white privilege has improved their standing in their career in a way that persons of color may have not experienced. NPR chief news executive Nancy Barnes to depart as network reshapes top We did a climate survey of our employees, and we learned about a particular weak spot for us with women of color at NPR who didn't feel it was a place to grow their career, a place to be their whole selves, a place where they are seen and respected. NPR Start Date: Mid October, 2020 I think the work Keith has been doing long before I got here on diversity in tracking sources and the storytelling that we're doing around the company has really been effective in the area of DEI on radio, podcasting, and digital. "When I think of NPR and I think of the member stations collectively, I think really of journalism as a public service, not tied to a profit motive," Lansing told NPR News. NPR's John Lansing Discusses the Importance of Integrity in Journalism By Nicole Jones - October 30, 2020 0 463 NPR National President and CEO John Lansing joined the Belmont community for a conversation about integrity in journalism, highlighting its importance especially during an election year. John F. Lansing (he/him) oversees one of the country's most iconic news organizations, whose rigorous reporting and unsurpassed storytelling connects with millions of Americans every day on the air, online, and in person. Lansing has won plaudits from journalists for his rousing defense of a free press even while serving in the Trump administration, which has been notably hostile to traditional notions of the role of journalism in civic life. And Im holding myself accountable with my board and Ive been and am holding my direct reports accountable to me. We are not just putting out regulations or policies and paperwork. Last summer, we definitely had a racial reckoning. promoting Keith Woods to chief diversity officer, regional newsrooms in Texas and California and the Midwest and in the Gulf, I brought in Michael Smith as our new chief marketing officer, looking to sell the Pocket Casts podcast app, Suspension of NPRs Kroc fellowships disrupts talent development, career plans of student journalists. "We're not seeing signs of a recovery in the advertising market," Lansing says in an interview. Why did you undertake this? He joined NPR after serving as CEO of the U.S. Agency for Global Media. David Westin speaks with top names in finance about the week's biggest issues on Wall Street. . Way back when, I was a news cameraman. So I think that it has caused me to be more tuned in to hearing and understanding our employees.
Job Fairs Portland, Maine, Intent To Possess Controlled Substance By Person Not Registered, Where Is Stio Clothing Made, Articles J