this is hidden brain I'm Shankar Vedantam in the classic TV series Star Trek Mister Spock has a foolproof technique for accurately reading the thoughts and feelings of others the Vulcan mind I am Spock you James our minds are moving closer most most here are kind of hard we have new technology that gives us direct access to the minds of others so In this favorite episode from 2021, Cornell University psychologist Anthony Burrow explains why purpose isnt something to be found its somethi, It's natural to want to run away from difficult emotions such as grief, anger and fear. This week, we launch the first of a two-part mini-series on the scie, If you think about the people in your life, it's likely that they share a lot in common with you. 00:55:27 Hidden Brain Happiness 2.0: The Reset Button BORODITSKY: Thank you so much for having me. This week, in the fourth and final installment of our Happiness 2.0 series, psychologist Dacher Keltner describes . I'm Shankar Vedanta. In the final episode of our Relationships 2.0 series, psychologistHarry Reis says theres another ingredient to successful relationships thats every bit as important as love. Subscribe to the Hidden Brain Podcast on your favorite podcast player so you never miss an episode. It's not something that you typically go out trying to do intentionally. You know, endings are going to tend to drop off. BORODITSKY: Yeah. The transcript below may be for an earlier version of this episode. So when I ask you to, say, imagine a man walking down the street, well, in your imagery, you're going to have some details completed and some will be left out. Hidden Brain - Transcripts And, I mean, really, it sounds exactly like that. But somehow they've managed, not just by randomly bumping into each other. The authoritative record of NPRs programming is the audio record. And so I set myself the goal that I would learn English in a year, and I wouldn't speak Russian to anyone for that whole first year. Language is something that's spoken, and spoken language especially always keeps changing. HIDDEN BRAIN < Lost in Translation: January 29, 20189:00 PM ET VEDANTAM: Well, that's kind of you, Lera. But what happens when these feelings catch up with us? But that can blind us to a very simple source of joy that's all around us. VEDANTAM: If you have teenagers or work closely with young people, chances are you'll be mystified by their conversations or even annoyed. In this episode, we explore how long-term relationships have changed over time and whether we might be able to improve marriage by asking less of it. BORODITSKY: One thing that we've noticed is this idea of time, of course, is very highly constructed by our minds and our brains. Later things are on the right. VEDANTAM: Well, that's kind of you, Lera. But that can blind us to a very simple source of joy that's all around us. VEDANTAM: The word chair is feminine in Italian. This week on Hidden Brain, we explore how unconscious bias can infect a culture and how a police shooting may say as much about a community as it does about individuals. You know, I was trying to stay oriented because people were treating me like I was pretty stupid for not being oriented, and that hurt. In the final episode of our "Mind Reading 2.0" series, we bring back one of our favorite conversations, with linguist Deborah Tannen. But, if you dig a little deeper, you may find that they share much more: they might make the same amount of money as you, or share the, We all have to make certain choices in life, such as where to live and how to earn a living. And I thought, wow, first of all, it would be almost impossible to have a conversation like that in English where you hadn't already revealed the gender of the person because you have to use he or she. You can find the transcript for most episodes of Hidden Brain on our website. You do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around. But as Bob Cialdini set out to discover the keys to influence and persuasion, he decided to follow the instincts of his childhood. VEDANTAM: One of the ultimate messages I took from your work is that, you know, we can choose to have languages that are alive or languages that are dead. When the con was exposed, its victims defended the con artists. There are different ways to be a psychologist. UNIDENTIFIED ACTOR #3: (As character) I'm willing to get involved. So in English, I might say that Sam (ph) broke the flute. VEDANTAM: Many of us have dictionaries at home or at work, John. But if they were sitting facing north, they would lay out the story from right to left. You couldn't have predicted this I know-uh move-uh (ph). And so somebody will say, well, who was it who you thought was going to give you this present? And so even though I insist that there is no scientific basis for rejecting some new word or some new meaning or some new construction, I certainly have my visceral biases. VEDANTAM: I love this analogy you have in the book where you mention how, you know, thinking that a word has only one meaning is like looking at a snapshot taken at one point in a person's life and saying this photograph represents the entirety of what this person looks like. And very competent adults of our culture can't do that. Our transcripts are provided by various partners and may contain errors or deviate slightly from the audio. Toula and Ian's different backgrounds become apparent on one of their very first dates. We post open positions (including internships) on our jobs page. People do need to be taught what the socially acceptable forms are. Could this affect the way, you know, sexism, conscious or unconscious, operates in our world? And what he found was kids who were learning Hebrew - this is a language that has a lot of gender loading in it - figured out whether they were a boy or a girl about a year sooner than kids learning Finnish, which doesn't have a lot of gender marking in the language. Copyright Hidden Brain Media | Privacy Policy, Think Again: The Power of Knowing What You Dont Know, Refusing to Apologize can have Psychological Benefits, The Effects of Conflict Types, Dimensions, and Emergent States on Group Outcomes, Social Functionalist Frameworks for Judgment and Choice: Intuitive Politicians, Theologians, and Prosecutors, Psychological Safety and Learning Behavior in Work Teams, The Effective Negotiator Part 1: The Behavior of Successful Negotiators, The Effective Negotiator Part 2: Planning for Negotiations, Read the latest from the Hidden Brain Newsletter. This week, in the fourth and final installment of our Happiness 2.0 series, psychologist Dacher Having a sense of purpose can be a buffer against the challenges we all face at various stages of life. Trusted by 5,200 companies and developers. And in fact, speakers of languages like this have been shown to orient extremely well - much better than we used to think humans could. Well never sell your personal information. Copyright Hidden Brain Media | Privacy Policy. FDA blocks human trials for Neuralink brain implants. For example, when we started talking about navigation, that's an example where a 5-year-old in a culture that uses words like north, south, east and west can point southeast without hesitation. BORODITSKY: Actually, one of the first people to notice or suggest that this might be the case was a Russian linguist, Roman Jakobson. When we come back, we dig further into the way that gender works in different languages and the pervasive effects that words can play in our lives. So that, again, is a huge difference. BORODITSKY: And when they were trying to act like Wednesday, they would act like a woman BORODITSKY: Which accords with grammatical gender in Russian. In The Air We Breathe . Sometimes, life can feel like being stuck on a treadmill. And they suggest that differences across languages do, in fact, predict some of these measures of gender equality across countries. BORODITSKY: I had this wonderful opportunity to work with my colleague Alice Gaby in this community called Pormpuraaw in - on Cape York. It turns out, as you point out, that in common usage, literally literally means the opposite of literally. Perspectives on the Situation by Harry T. Reis, and John G. Holmes, in The Oxford Handbook of Personality and Social Psychology, 2012. I saw this bird's-eye view, and I was this little red dot. And why do some social movements take off and spread, while others fizzle? We call this language Gumbuzi. And it ended up becoming less a direct reflection of hearty laughter than an indication of the kind of almost subconscious laughter that we do in any kind of conversation that's meant as friendly. Researcher Elizabeth Dunn helps us map out the unexpected ways we can find joy and happiness in our everyday lives. You know, lots of people blow off steam about something they think is wrong, but very few people are willing to get involved and do something about it. (Speaking Japanese). - you would have to say something like, my arm got broken, or it so happened to me that my arm is broken. The transcript below may be for an earlier version of this episode. One study that I love is a study that asked monolingual speakers of Italian and German and also bilingual speakers of Italian and German to give reasons for why things are the grammatical genders that they are. Purpose can also boost our health and longevity. We all have to make certain choices in life, such as where to live and how to earn a living. So the question for us has been, how do we build these ideas? Researcher Elizabeth Dunn helps us map out Having a sense of purpose can be a buffer against the challenges we all face at various stages of life. VEDANTAM: I understand that there's also been studies looking at how artists who speak different languages might paint differently depending on how their languages categorize, you know, concepts like a mountain or death. So you can think about an un-gendered person in the same way that I might think about a person without a specific age or specific height or specific color shirt. Each language comprises the ideas that have been worked out in a culture over thousands of generations, and that is an incredible amount of cultural heritage and complexity of thought that disappears whenever a language dies. Hidden Brain - Transcripts Hidden Brain - Transcripts Subscribe 435 episodes Share Shankar Vedantam uses science and storytelling to reveal the unconscious patterns that drive human behavior, shape our choices and direct our relationships. Our transcripts are provided by various partners and may contain errors or deviate slightly from the audio. For example, if you take seeds and put them in the ground, that's one thing. So one possibility for bilinguals would be that they just have two different minds inside - right? Subscribe to the Hidden Brain Podcast on your favorite podcast player so you never miss an episode. She once visited an aboriginal community in northern Australia and found the language they spoke forced her mind to work in new ways. Parents and peers influence our major life choices. But she told me a story about a conversation she had with a native speaker of Indonesian. And after listening to you, I realize I might have to finally give in. Hidden Brain. Hidden Brain: You, But Better on Apple Podcasts And we're all going to have feelings like that. ADAM COLE, BYLINE: (Singing) You put your southwest leg in, and you shake it all about. But I find that people now usually use the word to mean very soon, as in we're going to board the plane momentarily. But if you prefer life - the unpredictability of life - then living language in many ways are much more fun. to describe the world. So you have speakers of two different languages look at the same event and come away with different memories of what happened because of the structure of their languages and the way they would normally describe them. All rights reserved. Language as it evolved was just talking to an extent that can be very hard for we literate people to imagine. al (Eds. John is a professor of English and comparative literature at Columbia University. That was somehow a dad's fashion, and that I should start wearing flat-fronted pants. But might we allow that there's probably a part of all human beings that wants to look down on somebody else. This week, we kick off a month-long series we're calling Happiness 2.0. And I would really guess that in a few decades men will be doing it, too. If I give you a bunch of pictures to lay out and say this is telling you some kind of story and you - and they're disorganized, when an English speaker organizes those pictures, they'll organize them from left to right. VEDANTAM: It took just one week of living in Japan for Jennifer to pick up an important new term. If you still cant find the episode, try looking through our most recent shows on our homepage. Hidden Brain - Google Podcasts BORODITSKY: And Russian is a language that has grammatical gender, and different days of the week have different genders for some reason. He says there are things we can do to make sure our choices align with our deepest values. And that is an example of a simple feature of language - number words - acting as a transformative stepping stone to a whole domain of knowledge. Many of us believe that hard work and persistence are the key to achieving our goals. We couldnt survive without the many public radio stations that support our show and they cant survive without you. Let's start with the word literally. I just don't want to do it. Visit our website terms of use and permissions pages at www.npr.org for further information. Sometimes, life can feel like being stuck on a treadmill. Toward Understanding Understanding:The Importance of Feeling Understood in Relationships, by Harry Reis, Edward P. Lemay Jr, and Catrin Finkenauer, Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 2017. In the second episode of our "Relationships 2.0" series, psychologist Do you ever struggle to communicate with your mom? podcast pages. 437 Episodes Produced by Hidden Brain, Shankar Vedantam Website. This week, we kick off a month-long series we're calling Happiness 2.0. JERRY SEINFELD: (As Jerry Seinfeld) The second button literally makes or breaks the shirt. Everyone wants to be loved and appreciated. Transcript - How language shapes the way we think by Lera Boroditsky.docx, The Singapore Quality Award requires organisations to show outstanding results, The following lots of Commodity Z were available for sale during the year, b The authors identify 5 types of misinformation in the abstract but discuss 7, 17 Chow N Asian value and aged care Geriatr Gerontol Int 20044521 5 18 Chow NWS, Writing Results and Discussion Example.docx, A 6 month old infant weighing 15 lb is admitted with a diagnosis of dehydration, ng_Question_-_Assessment_1_-_Proposing_Evidence-Based_Change.doc, The Social Security checks the Government sends to grandmothers are considered A, 03 If a covered member participates on the clients attest engagement or is an, AURETR143 Student Assessment - Theory v1.1.docx. That kind of detail may not appear. It Takes Two: The Interpersonal Nature of Empathic Accuracy, What Do You Do When Things Go Right? This week, in the final installment of our Happiness 2.0 series, psychologist Dacher Keltner describes what happens when we stop to savor the beauty in nature, art, or simply the moral courage of those around us. All of these are very subjective things. And to arrive in a new place where you can't tell a joke and can't express an idea - oh, it's just really painful because you feel like your whole self is hiding inside and no one can see it. But that can blind us to a very simple source of joy that's all around us. And the way you speak right is not by speaking the way that people around you in your life speak, but by speaking the way the language is as it sits there all nice and pretty on that piece of paper where its reality exists. If you dont see any jobs posted there, feel free to send your resume and cover letter to [emailprotected] and well keep your materials on hand for future openings on the show. 585: In Defense of Ignorance - This American Life Newsletter: Go behind the scenes, see what Shankar is reading and find more useful resources and links. There's a lowlier part of our nature that grammar allows us to vent in the absence of other ways to do it that have not been available for some decades for a lot of us. And you suddenly get a craving for potato chips, and you, realize that you have none in the kitchen, and there's nothing else you really want to, eat. If you are able, we strongly encourage you to listen to the audio, which includes emotion and emphasis that's not on the page. All rights reserved. VEDANTAM: How the languages we speak shape the way we think and why the words we use are always in flux. Accuracy and availability may vary. Copyright 2018 NPR. I think language can certainly be a contributor into the complex system of our thinking about gender. But what if there's a whole category of people in your life whose impact is overlooked? out. Lera is a cognitive science professor at the University of California, San Diego. Please do not republish our logo, name or content digitally or distribute to more than 10 people without written permission. Imagine how we would sound to them if they could hear us. We'll be back momentarily. What techniques did that person use to persuade you? Hidden Brain - You 2.0: Cultivating Your Purpose - Google Podcasts So these speakers have internalized this idea from their language, and they believe that it's right. Now I can stay oriented. So LOL starts out as meaning hardy-har-har (ph), but then it becomes something more abstract. A free podcast app for iPhone and Android, Download episodes while on WiFi to listen without using mobile data, Stream podcast episodes without waiting for a download, Queue episodes to create a personal continuous playlist, Web embed players designed to convert visitors to listeners in the RadioPublic apps for iPhone and Android, Capture listener activity with affinity scores, Measure your promotional campaigns and integrate with Google and Facebook analytics, Deliver timely Calls To Action, including email acquistion for your mailing list, Share exactly the right moment in an episode via text, email, and social media, Tip and transfer funds directly to podcastsers, Earn money for qualified plays in the RadioPublic apps with Paid Listens. Many of us rush through our lives, chasing goals and just trying to get everything done. 00:51:58 - We all have to make certain choices in life, such as where to live and how to earn a living. VEDANTAM: It took just one week of living in Japan for Jennifer to pick up an important, VEDANTAM: There isn't a straightforward translation of this phrase in English. Now, many people hear that and they think, well, that's no good because now literally can mean its opposite. This week, in the second installment of our Happiness 2.0 series, psychologist Todd Kashdan looks at the relationship between distress and happiness, and how to keep difficult emotions from sabotaging our wellbeing.
Lee Leather Needlepoint, Nora Jumblatt Biography, Articles H