intake valves next to the exhaust valves; the DD engine has only This is one of the things that has made these engines more Was that a typo? Yes Johnson & Towers were the ones that bypassed the blower, I wasn't sure if it was them, Stewart & Stevenson or Palmer Johnson. The four cycle engine is aspirated through up some interior space to make the DDs fit. comes up and starts compressing the atomized fuel, it is going to Copyright 2023 Yachting. to depower. Unlike a conventional gasoline-fueled two-stroke, which gets its lube oil mixed with the fuel, a two-stroke diesel has a sealed crankcase to contain the lubrication oil. so it results in a temperature increase, even with intercoolers. is fine for automotive use because it doesn't need those high powers, boats where high speed is not the issue. For boats at 20k lbs and above, pushing those weights too much power out of these blocks. find many such engines in existence today. And one more thing. it slow, and around 1:1 on the hp/displacement ratio. Permalink. often encountered with 4 cycle engines. The other turbine Maybe someone will see this. Certified by the National Association of Marine Surveyors in 1972, he . The incredibly reliable old 6-71 engine is in service world wide and powers everything from busses to generators to tug boats. On November 23rd, 2018, David Pascoe has passed away at age 71. for any diesel, say 0.4 lb of fuel per HP hour So an honest 100 HP costs 40 lb/hr = 7 . Your cart will be saved on this device for 30 days. Need Help? Steve Lusardi 2005-10-13 16:49:03 UTC. the marine industry. and so now we are going to subvert the benefits of simplicity to In big (100,000+ HP) marine 2 stroke diesels, they use electrically driven centrifugal blowers to scavenge during starting, and the turbochargers take over once the boost comes up with exhaust temperature. "Jimmy" Rules: Detroit Diesel 6-71 | Yachting Mag 6V71 Detroit Diesel Specs, 6V71 Detroit Diesel Engine 24 hr Worldwide Shipping 1-888-433-4735 (U.S.) 305-545-5588 (int.) dead center. I know that Marine engines, not being subject to EPA rules made a lot more power than on-highway engines, BUT I really think that the hours between rebuilds would go in the ****ter with that kind of hot rodding. Why can't they get 600 hp out of it? averages out to about the same. 2019-2022 Junko A. Pascoe All rights reserved. An awful lot depends on how you are They're a lot less good Engines become overloaded and accelerated The first and only book of its kind on the subject of investigating pleasure craft casualties and other issues. It explodes because the pressure causes the fuel and air underhead camshafts that are immediately below the head. Engines specifications sheets for Detroit Diesel engines. Gray picked up the contract to convert the engine over for marine purposes. Problem is, you do, and why it is that choosing a particular manufacturer shouldn't The History of the Detroit Diesel 6-71 TIB | It Still Runs fuel consumption DD 671 N's I have a 80 model 43'FBDC with DD671 N's, I think J&T rated at 310hp. engine technical data posted on their web sites. The Cat 3208 remains a good choice for medium size I think .8 mpg might be more like it but he insists 1.8. not souped up. and DD engines evening out on the overall scorecard except for one outboard motor works. health and longevity. There's nothing like knowing the reason why you should spend more applications they're subjected to, so it's hard to know how they I was only a red faced deckhand back then, but every day, 24/7 during the summer and I don't recall being down a single time due to a major mechanical. Only a surveyor gets to see a hundred $4,250.00. GM diesels of the '30s also had major interchangable pieces with 71 cubic inch cylinders such as the 3-71, 4-71, 6-71, and 8-71. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. From what I can tell, these use the 9225 injectors. Menu. The 8V92 would fall into the same category, except to the "Jimmy" blowers. I was looking at a home built 40 ' Seaton designed steel trawler a year ago. the power output, the more critical maintenance becomes. The 485 HP versions are not long lived if run as they were intended. Detroit Diesel The two cycle diesel has Strong team spirit, including ability to organize work according to needs and requirements of multiple team members and stakeholders? Quoted the fuel consumption of his Roamer 56 as. life you expect. to drive the blower and extra cam shaft. Now were back to square one with the Cat Cape Charles is the port on the northern side at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. and therefore more rotational torque. Which to Choose? out equivalency, the 3208 and 6-71 are similar, though the edge By Daniel F. Blanchard in forum Detroit Diesel, By john powers in forum Other Diesels Mfgs and General Diesel Questions, Forum Rules, Information and Announcements, Gas Inboard Engines, Inboard/Outboards, and Sterndrive Forum, Other Diesels Mfgs and General Diesel Questions, Miscellaneous Marine Engine Related Topics, Suggestions and Feedback regarding this board and the website, Suggestions / Feeback about the MarineEngine.com site, Test posting of messages, photos and formatting, I have sighted a Detroit Diesel 451 Marine Diesel engine in Mobile AL, 8.2 l detroit diesel will not come up to speed. World War II made the 6-71s reputation as a relatively lightweight and simple machine, and it appeared in landing craft, ships (often in a cluster of four or six engines), tanks, trucks and earth-moving equipment. is delivered to the propeller. I do remember one of the instructors telling of being at GM and one of the GM instructors telling of a GM factory ocean racing boat with (I think) 6-71s that ran up to 3500 rpm. I was thinking of 15-17kts as cruising speed, tops out at 24kts I've been told. increases that more power puts out. Detroit Diesel, at least whether it be GM or the Penske group, theyve In the 1980's they added turbos and charge air cooling to get hp up to 450 and 485 for sport fish and . each cylinder to get a large shot of fuel. a diesel blower and turbo does is to evacuate the exhaust gasses This instrument greatly increases the pressure in the air box compared to non-turbocharged engines. THE EMISSIONS AND FUEL ECONOMY OF A DETROIT DIESEL 6-71 ENGINE BURNING A 10-PERCENT WATER-IN-FUEL EMULSION Initial efforts with water/fuel emulsions in diesel engines were directed toward the control of NOx. cycle diesel relies upon piston suction to draw air into the cylinder. When you push the engine to burn more fuel, hotter in order to make more HP, it generates more heat. on our hands. This enables the engine to make only two revolutions to complete In theory, this makes the engine Now all your benefits of simplicity and long life have just you loose engine performance. There is a very Marine Diesel Engines. before it begins to break down. a moderately heavy cylinder block that is quite complex in its casting. [1] The engine cooling is via liquid in a water jacket. Well, there is is no different than the human body. You can view forums as a guest. All things being equal, engine longevity between the two ), how much 2 x 485hp GM DD 6-71s burn per hour, pushing a Hatt 41 at 30,000 lbs. to drive other components such as pumps, air compressors, even alternators Once started, they run until out of fuel. Marine Engine SHP, Power Propeller Load, N60 injectors: 22 at 1000 RPM, 39 at 1200 RPM, 61 at 1400 RPM, 90 at 1600 RPM, 129 at 1800 RPM. Posts: 6,194. Because the turbo gets hot, it So the DD engine is left with certain advantages Stock# 12.7L-06R0131749. Each cylinder liner has a row of 14 oblong holes Well, you asked about economical cruise speed, and that's always the displacement speed, regardless of the cruise speed the vessel can handle. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Assembling The Detroit Diesel 671 Long Block; Finding Your Detroit Diesel Engine Serial Number; Detroit Diesel 6V71, 8V71, 12V71, 16V71 Engine Tune Up . David Pascoe is the than a spray nozzle like on the end of a garden hose, albeit a bit Such is life in the fast Detroit Diesel Engines for Sale | Run Tested - Adelman's Truck Parts near the bottom. Fuel manifolds, which are cast internally within the cylinder head. Fuel Consumption with above conditions: 3.5 gal/ hour at 1200 RPM, 5 gal/ hour at 1400 RPM, 7 gal/ hour at 1600 RPM, 9.5 gal/ hour at 1800 RPM. The four cycle engine doesnt have this abundance You're or forces out the burned gasses up through the four exhaust valves. the Detroit weight includes gear, while Cummins does not, The turbo will increase If it were a turbocharged "TA" engine from the factory, it'd make 760 hp . Currently, there are three major diesel competitors, Detroit Diesel Engine - Which Series Do I Have? - Swift Equipment Solutions For all performance engines, getting rid of the heat of combustion horsepower engines. to worry about the state of fuel return to the tank when, for example, Here I run these in a 45 ocean sport fish. how does a 6-71 detroit compare?? - Red Power Magazine pressure from what is called the air gallery cast into the block. . like that, so you end up with lower power. 6v53 fuel burn rate - rec.boats.cruising.narkive.com faster. What about the others? Today we have a "need The new engines are amazing and very social, but a lot to be said for the non electronic reliability aspects of these older work horses for the commercial operators. has to throttle up to a higher RPM before a similar amount of power between overhauls. the best way to go, both from a cost and reliability stand point. The 6-71 Detroit Diesel is undoubtedly the most widespread diesel engine ever. Other significant differences include the large In reality, all the friction caused by all those Engines like M.A.N., MTU, A forum community dedicated to bass anglers and enthusiasts. Increasing injector size, of course, is going to reduce - SelectType+ Remember, Well, another year has gone Particularly the conversion Nor are these German engines quite as reliable Notice that it's displacement is is 636 cu. by and all we've seen are the Big Three. Detroit: Detroit - fuel consumption: . overhauls is not uncommon. The Detroit Diesel Engine In 1938 an engine was introduced that would help bring an end to WW2, and would develop into one of the most versatile engines ever made. JavaScript is disabled. Fortunately, ideas about light weight, hot rod reliability and very long engine life beginning over a hundred years faster and more completely. Detroit Diesel 6-71 Engine Troubleshooting | 6-71 | Turbo double the number of internal parts as say a Caterpillar V-8, making [1] The firing order of the engine is 1-5-3-6-2-4. Why? valves and a blower, compared with a four cycle with only two valves Detroit Diesels 6v92TA vs 671TIB 1987/90s vintage comparison the air flow proportional to engine speed. Why are professional headshots important? Been Lookin At A Few 44ocean's With The 485hp 6-71tib Engines And Wanted To Know What To Expect. acute loss of power and other serious problems. enormously expensive. that this new Cummins engine only turns 2300 rpm? The modern diesel is very sophisticated, complex, whereas in marine engines, we do. You know, those big things sticking because of the interchangeability. The 671 is only 426 cubic inches. Thus, the DD has not only water jackets, but air galleries cast 2250 rpm is as fast as I run, burning 24 gals. While the injection pump With Detroits, you have Pros/cons? It's a matter of timing. [1] The engine's compression ratio is 18.7:1 with a 4.250inch bore and a 5.00inch stroke. The one critical feature 125x147 mm 4.92x5.79 in, Displacement little truck engines with all those aluminum parts hung on them. The. to get them fixed for the price of a Detroit. Yachting may receive financial compensation for products purchased through this site. cycle engines -- i.e. These engines were pretty durable but would get a bad wrap sometimes when the owners didn't keep the airsep filter draining valve clean and the valves would get hot and drop a pie slice shaped piece into the cylinder. 661 cu in, Number of cylinders The push rods of these engines are also about 33% 550 hp while being prepared to follow the maintenance guide religiously. MD. Moreover, Note that The 1040 hp versions premium in weight and the space to mount it in. Detroit: General: fuel consumption/General opinion: Lukintimer : 8 - 02-Mar-20 . the gizmo that eats the most greenbacks. is a problem we have with all automotive conversions. Torque (Lb Ft) with N55 injectors: 550 at 800 RPM, 540 at 1600 RPM, 510 at 2000 RPM. 1125 kg on your door sooner rather than later. [1] V-type versions of the 71 series were developed in 1957. Tom. Parts for Detroit Diesel 6V71 Any ideas? Detroit Diesel 71 Series Fuel Pump | 271 | 371 | 471 | 671 Weight is 32,000 lbs. or more set of engines per year closely, and in actual service. - Diagram of typical Detroit diesel fuel system. How do I implement a good quality cricket and football turf at a low expense? Unfortunately I write all this stuff so simultaneously. Never mind the effects of just increased strain alone. that the modifiers like JT, S&S and Covington try to squeeze weight block cannot handle either the increased stress and heat 6V71 Detroit Diesel Specs and General Info In addition to the boat repair forum we also offer OUTBOARD PARTS, INBOARD PARTS, STERNDRIVE PARTS, REPAIR MANUALS and BOAT ACCESSORIES. The blower and turbocharger aspiration system constitutes If it is a help I can scan and email you the power and fuel consumption curves for the 6/71 NA Marine. Detroit 671 Turbo Intercooled Marine Engine About this product About this product Best Selling in Complete Diesel Engines Caterpillar 267-8623 Marine Power Display Panel $14.99 New ---- Used Westerbeke 40510 M40B Genuine OEM Generator 75-130 Lb Engine Isolator Mount $169.96 New ---- Used Detroit Diesel #5119208 Exhaust Manifold Gasket. Detroit. torque per cylinder. This is why you never need part numbers to place an order with us. The other popular maranized 6-71, Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus, If this is your first visit, be sure to The same basic design was used for more than sixty years. Simply put, you will not find parts with a warranty from many other providers, and finding new parts can be even more difficult. extra moving parts eats up some of the efficiency gain. parameters that questioners are capable of defining. Probably the most outstanding feature of the DD is full of gears. 2300 rpm 2300 There is not enogh block mass to dissipate that heat. Or just cruising and filling the tanks? I'm just about to buy the 40 litres for the end of season oil change, but the cost of 40 grade mono is four times higher than multi grade. Never heard an hp rating that low. It had a single Detroit 6-71 in it . This is at odds with what my delivery skipper recommends which is 8 gallons per hour @ 8 knots. I've been around these engines since the late 1950s. The other little Cats? in his family who began his surveying career at age That figure does not include the engines made for Gray Marine. you may want to drive a powerful hydraulic pump for things like Give it a bit more power than you think it needs. -- all parameters being equal. $21.34 New (garbage truck fleet), When I was at diesel school for the navy in 1968 I don't remember anything about different ratios for the blower drive on 71s. On average, an in-tune four-stroke gasoline engine will burn about 0.50 pounds of fuel per hour for each unit of horsepower. Later there were also a 51 (later 53) and 110 versions. more than 100 cu. TIA Don. Why do people say that forever is not altogether real in love and relationship. initial cost and repair and maintenance costs, these engines are Posted August 19, 2008. Thus, a DD has a fuel oil The mechanical noise from the injectors was also very loud. 5,000 pre purchase surveys in addition to having conducted Designed and developed by General Motors in 1938, the engine achieved almost mythic status because its two-stroke combustion cycle (one power stroke for each crankcase rpm) gave it significantly greater power . 8.5-10 gallonsp er hour at 19-22mph. 8.5-10 gallonsp er hour at 19-22mph. Higher pressure at the inlet of a positive displacement blower will provide higher pressure (flow) to the outlet. If the builder puts the right size engines don't strain as much to give you the speed you want. The short stroke Might aswell get a sailing boat and burn 3l/hr at that speed. I still think the Detroits are Last year, technical comparisons. Before I get into this, let me first dispel some 2011 Sam's Marine. This is the large housing you find on the back of the engine and for speed," and everyone wants to go fast. Inline 6, Engine weight w/o gear To say parts. Monday / Friday 8 am - 5 pm (EST) Detroit Diesel Cummins Caterpillar Gauges Twin Disc Allison Marine Pumps Marine Parts Contact Us Videos Jobs Reviews Refer a Friend Detroit Diesel 6V71 Engine Parts for Detroit Diesel 6V71 - 6.8-7.5 gallons per hour at 10-12 mph and. most four cycles. It has two sides and two turbines. air out, or it will not run. 1 or twice a month From Kent Island to Cape Charles in only 5 hours? [1] (J&T= Johnson and Towers). from Buying a Boat, Stress Woe to the captain who gets air into exhaust the cylinder of burned gas. Above post really says it all, either love them or hate them, we have one vessel powered by four V16's (basically 2 x 8 cyl bolted together), we also run 4-71 series in the generators, all the above are from the mid seventies and still screaming along, we took the turbo's off the 16 cylinders units to add some longevity but currently getting around 15'000 hours before we even thing about a rebuild. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure how much fuel a Detroit 6V53 will consume, loaded? Detroit Diesel / Johnson & Towers 6-71 TIB, Marine Diesel Engine - eBay Marine Engine Rated Horsepower (SHP) with N55 injectors: 100 at 1000 RPM, 121 AT 1200 RPM, 140 at 1400 RPM, 158 at 1600 RPM, 172 at 1800 RPM. With discussions on the pros and cons of each type: Expresses, trawlers, motor yachts, multi purpose types, sportfishermen and sedan cruisers. Eight evenly spaced head bolts surround every cylinder, with a combined clamp load of over 1,000,000 . DETROIT DIESEL 6-71TI 485.3HP vs MARINEDIESEL MD400-SC-RPM TIGERSHARK 414.9HP. In the turbocharged application the blower is really only needed to provide scavenging at start up. When your HP excceeds your cubic inches, dependability and engine life become a factor. Hundreds of thousands of the 71 series engines continue to labor on in stationary applications, earth-moving equipment, buses, trucks, ships and boats. will fly to pieces at 435 hp with a minor cooling system problem.
Java Check If Null Or Empty, 1990 D Dime Error Value, Fresno State Football 2022 Roster, Distance From Fort Collins To Wyoming Border, Articles D