The only problem with this solution was the limitations of 5.56 NATO case itself. Use load data at your own risk. To show viewers how to succeed at long range, J. Guthrie gears up for a challenging shot while chasing Colorado pronghorn at long range with DPMS' Panther 6.5 Creedmoor. The .223 is limited by powder capacity, but not the usual 7- to 9-inch twists. Thanks . The faster that bullet is moving, the more ground that will cover during this drop. 0000006404 00000 n 0000004084 00000 n The average accuracy of all loads in Rifle #1 was .82 inch, and all but three loads averaged under an inch. Primer pockets were snug, but not too tightno crushed primer pellets in these cases. Their availability will certainly contribute to the successful Flight of the Valkyrie. Hodgdon CFE 223 - Hodgdon Powder Co. Shooting heavier bullets, in an AR-platform rifle, that maintain supersonic speeds beyond 1,300 yards has captured the interest of shooters and handloaders everywhere, says Ron Reiber, Hodgdon product manager and ballistician. 0000003643 00000 n The author uses C Products Defense magazines as they are always true to spec and allow for an overall length of up to 2.270 inches. Okay, how about some results? Montrose, CO. Apr 4, 2022. Joseph Von Benedikt shows his custom 500 and how well it shoots. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets. Logged. Basically a 6.8 SPC necked down to .22, the Valkyrie has a shorter case than the .223 Remington (and 5.5645 NATO). Bullet: Berger 22 Caliber 80.5 Grain Fullbore Target. Communism only made one thing that works, and capitalism can make it even better. Cfe 223 in 223 and 224 valkyrie? | Long Range Hunting Forum But they are still a place to start. High-velocity rounds generate more heat, and this addition might mean the difference between taking that extra shot or sitting out. For. Reaching a speed where the round will staystabilized past 800 yards is a challenge. This will likely be my last post for the CFE 80.5 and 85 grain loads. Interestingly, both rifles shot most loads with varmint-weight bullets pretty well. I have never weighed my projectiles when reloading. .224 Valkyrie Load Data for 52gr to 95gr Bullets from Sierra All Rights Reserved. 0000100893 00000 n 0000008830 00000 n My power charges were like those that have performed well for me in other .224 Valkyrie rifles. Hodgdon Powder Company has announced the launch of reloading data for the new .224 Valkyrie, now available on the company's Reloading Data Center website.. (The other half went to Flkvangr, the afterlife of the goddess Freyja.) (I fully admit that shooter error is a potential factor.) Varget hits the sweet spot for the best performance in this cartridge.. I think the round has tremendous potential, but if it is to be the be-all, end-all cartridge with heavyweight .22-caliber bullets, more moderately-priced rifles, like the bolt guns I used, need to enter the marketplace. Load Data - Barnes Bullets 0000087166 00000 n Varget hits the sweet spot for the best performance in this cartridge." ALL Bulletin content is copyrighted, 2023 AccurateShooter.com. I have been through the wringer on a few different load developments, but this one really had us thrown for a loop. It's not my first choice for precision loads, Varget or XBR8208 get the nod there. A critical marksmanship skill that is easy to overlook. Jul 13, 2012 1,535 581 33 . Federal was happy to provide us with the same brass that the company uses in its factory ammunition. .224 Valkyrie Ballistics & Reloading | Rifle, Handgun, and Pistol Brass Abbreviations: TSX-BT, Triple Shock-X Boat Tail; GMX, Gilding Metal eXpanding; ELD-M, Extremely Low Drag RDF, Reduced Drag Factro; CC, Custom Competition; BT, Boat Tail; TMK, Tipped MatchKing; SS, Semi Spitzer. Federal Premiums Valkyrie ammo is stoked with Sierras sleek, new 90-grain MatchKing BTHP, and the Fusion line has a 90-grain Fusion soft point meant, presumably, for deer hunting. Fortunately, this is a one-time step in the reloading process. #2. CFE-223: Subscribe: 2662: Remarks: COAL (inches): 2.140; 5-shot 100-yard group (inches): 1.75 77: Nosler Custom Competition: Hodgdon: After a quick swap, we headed back to the range and duplicated our test parameters. This is available to consumers in 100-round bags. Even stuffed with a maximum charge of Hodgdon Varget, there is still more than enough room to seat long Hornady 88-grain ELD MATCH bullets into the 224 Valkyrie case. Introduced by Federal in 2017 and approved by SAAMI in 2018, the new 224 Valkyrie has been quickly adopted by long-range shooters. However, while Eugene Stoner got it right in 1959, the one thing that the AR-15 always lacked was range. To this day, it is still my go-to service rifle loading for reduced course matches. Also on the list wasCFE 223. The biggest bonus I have from this is the amount of load data out there that is available. We primed our cases with CCI BR-4 benchrest primers, and we were ready for the powder.Hodgdon released its 2018 Annual Reloading Update Manual, and of course, the 224 Valkyrie was right on the cover. Minuteman. Keep up-to-date on new products, Nevermind,they made the case length 0.02 shorter than everyone else lists to fit it in. I am able to "real world" test at every range from 100-1000 yards so velocity is not important to me. While new load data will continue to be updated on Hodgdons Reloading Data Center, this new 224 Valkyriedata is available immediately at www.HodgdonReloading.com. 0000100071 00000 n Our takeaway for the Valkyrie handloading project is that this is a very viable and interesting round for handloaders. 22 PPC does better on performance. The .224 Valkyrie is indeed a high-tech, purpose-designed cartridge, and the handloads I tested in Starline cases delivered excellent performance with a wide range of components. With the 90gr SMK, the .224 Valkyrie offers ballistics similar to the 6.5 Creedmoor but with significantly less felt recoil. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. What's the Perfect Trigger Pull Weight for a Hunting Rifle? This data is available for 80 different loads featuring 50- to 90-grain bullet options (from Hornady, Nosler, Federal, Swift and Sierra) and powders from Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester . Toggle menu . Min Charge Max Charge Optimal Charge Bullet Make Bullet Type It may not display this or other websites correctly. Login with username, password and session length. This was the powder for our heavy target load. 0000022543 00000 n 224 Valkyrie Load Data: Everything You Need to Know This setup is inherently more stable than a bipod, as it allows the gun to slide smoothly under recoil, and the wedge let us adjust elevation simply by sliding it in or out from the buttstock. The best groups were turned in by the Barnes 70-grain TS-X BT, Nosler 60-grain Ballistic Tip and 70-grain RDF, and the Sierra 65-grain Semi Spitzer. If you own an AR, youve probably heard of the hot, new .224 Valkyrie cartridge. Significantly, after firing and resizing, the Starline cases lengthened only a smidgenanother bonus. Reloading Data .224 Valkyrie (Load Development) Metallic Although 100-yard results arent mind-blowing, this round will still outperform others at distance, because it is less susceptible to wind drift. Load Data - Nosler I will not post velocities (I don't care about velocity, only accuracy.) I have tested three .224 Valkyrie rifles, and have been impressed with velocities of heavy-bullet loads, although accuracy can vary a lot. 0000035033 00000 n You must log in or register to reply here. Sierra offers several heavy .22-caliber match bullets, including the 90-grain MatchKing HPBT that Federal loads in its match ammo. Starline Brass and the author accept no responsibility for use of the data in this article. Keep up-to-date on new products, Copyright 2023 National Rifle Association, Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinics, Volunteer At The Great American Outdoor Show, Marion P. Hammer Women Of Distinction Award, Women's Wildlife Management / Conservation Scholarship, National Youth Shooting Sports Cooperative Program. The increased surface area allows the gun to cool faster. Gonna put the results in the 2nd post. Guys on the facebook page "Valkyrie Ascending Reloading" have convinced me to switch from . 0000006276 00000 n If the case is 1.620, then loading it to 2.260 puts the ogive below the case mouth. Lighter and tougher and more precise than ever, it's the perfect back country hunting rifle. you could start with Varget/CFE 223 and go from there. Since I haven't had any feedback I am simply curious. The idea was simple: Neck down a 6.8 SPC to accommodate the smaller diameter bullet, and you will have room for enough powder to push these babies up to 1,200 yards and beyond. Loads for 20 bullet types and 22 powders* are listed. I never could get very tight ES with it . Load Data for .224 Valkyrie Optimizing the Cartridge 223 REMINGTON 223 WSSM 224 VALKYRIE 5.56 NATO 10.5 BARREL 5.56 NATO 14.5 BARREL 5.56 NATO 16.5 BARREL 5.56 NATO 20 BARREL 224 WEATHERBY MAGNUM 22-250 REMINGTON (NEW) 22 HORNET.243. I've had the pleasure of working with the 300 BLK CFE powder before and even had the opportunity to do a before-and-after comparison with a Lyman Products Borecam, and it was amazing how it actually keeps its promise.Load development was relatively simple, as both of these powders have a narrow range between max and min charges. .224 Valkyrie Load Data for 52gr to 95gr Bullets from Sierra If you own an AR, you've probably heard of the hot, new .224 Valkyrie cartridge. _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-6323545-2']); One1Bravo Ops4. Primer: Federal 205 Small Rifle. The powder measures very well and consistently. Let me know how the 8202 works I have that on hand and its performed well the Nosler 80s custom competition. I tried a slew of powders, but heres the bottom lineHodgdons CFE 223 was the hands down winner in both rifles. It's a bighorn tl3 with 26 inch rock creek barrel. The new round, the .224 Valkyrie has had a few starts and fits in its birthing, but it finally seems to be flying high, like its namesake. Full Member. Snipers Hide is a community of Snipers of all kinds, focusing on long range shooting, accuracy, and ballistics. 0000098734 00000 n More accuracy can be achieved by adjusting seating depth, but it certainly will be a shooter. Demonstrating a solid commitment to a successful debut of the new cartridge, Federal introduced four different factory loads with the Nosler 60-grain Ballistic Tip, American Eagle 75-grain TMJ, Fusion 90-grain SoftPoint, and Sierra 90-grain MatchKing. Saving the day just in the nick of time was E.R. Looks nearly identical to the .223 Ackley Improved. These are excellent bullets, but these lighter bullets are a few bubbles off the .224 Valkyries heavy bullet paradigm. At Hodgdon, weve been researching this cartridge since before its introduction and are excited to release load data for the Valkyrie featuring powders like Hodgdon CFE 223, IMR 8208 XBRand Hodgdon Varget. This allows you to load the longest, heaviest .224-caliber bullets and still feed reliably from an AR15-type magazine. 0000047766 00000 n of Israeli Defense Forces, joins David Fortier for an exclusive interview for Shotgun News. I still had to use the RCBS Trim Mate crimp remover so the primers could be properly seated later without damage. The rifles differ slightly in throating. As I see it, Federals plan for the .224 Valkyrie seems to be geared to that long-range shooting weve discussed, and factory ammo reflects that. Graciously, the company supplied me with one for testing and I left with it that day. So, its obvious that these cases are ready to go with minimal, but necessary, preparation. Bullets from other manufacturers may not produce . Those not familiar with this series of powders will be interested to know that it actually removes copper fouling as you shoot.
Why Did Ronnie Anne's Parents Divorced, Menu For The Dam Restaurant In Warsaw Missouri, Estranged Husband Kills Wife, Articles OTHER