Rauch Precision Suppressor Cover, Mad Dog Weapons Systems / Bruce Finnegan Barrel Install/Work. Smith, along with Lakota guide Big John Willcuts, locked down their bipods on a ridgeline about 600 yards off to our right. Hornadys A-Tip Match is a long-range optimized design with a milled aluminum tip sharper than polymer designs. We took the different bullet and powder combinations and loaded them up to the SAAMI Maximum Average Pressure (MAP) for the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6 Creedmoor cartridges, which is 62,000 psi. This is where I'd start. Not sure on barrel life. That combination worked well when distances exceeded 400 yards, especially when prairie winds stir. An extra grain of powder broke 3,000 fps but opening that group to an even inch. 6.5mm Creedmoor - Wikipedia Since the .22 Creedmoor is not a typical magnum cartridge, we thought it would be helpful to explain why we chose to use large rifle magnum primers instead of standard large rifle primers. That way, the only difference between the two sets of 5 rounds was the type of primer used. I shot more than 20 rockchucks that first full day out at the ranch. Velocity was pretty good with rl 26 at around 3100, but I'm getting 3000 with 4350 with low es and way more consistent groups. You get 22-250 class velocities with a more modern cartridge design, and high-quality brass. The Timney Trigger was adjusted to break at a crisp 1.53 pounds. Case capacity very similar to 22-250 AI. CLICK HERE to read full GunsAmerica 22 Creedmoor test report. What kind of velocity are you guys getting with the 75s or 80s out of the Creedmoor? Primal Rights has been a big proponent of the .22 Creedmoor since before consumers were able to purchase properly headstamped .22 Creedmoor brass. KEL TEC SUB-2000 . If you are looking at a new varmint cartridge, I highly recommend the .22 Creedmoor. It carried a special short chamber and, by the direction of Satterlee himself, I was told I could increase my power charge by two grains as the barrel is designed to take some added pressure. This time, Eric Mayer met me and brought his video equipment. Peterson Cartridge is committed to supporting its customers. Rocky Meadors With more time I will undoubtedly work that out but I am more than pleased with where I have begun. Hornadys taking a long range shot at outgunning the .22 Swift. Hornady offers the bullets, cases and dies. 22 Creedmoor - northernhowlers Also, please try our new extremely accurate loaded 22 LR Muzzle Energy: 22 long rifle muzzle energy is measured in foot pounds to determine the destructive potential of the bullet. Patricks .22 Creedmoor, built by Dale Hegstrom of Little Crow Gunworks, includes a MAGPUL magazine well kit to hold a 10-round detachable magazine. Shooting the Breeze: The fast-twist 22 Creedmoor I currently have H-1000, H4831SC,and Retumbo on hand, as well as federal 210-m primers and virgin Hornady 22 Creed brass. The 6.5 Creedmoor is now one of the most popular cartridges chambered in factory rifles. Case capacity very similar to 22-250 AI. One way we support our customers is by producing the high-quality casings they have come to expect from us. MAGPRO produced a .59-inch group at 2,979 fps with 43.5 grains of powder. The RLs you listed are probably too slow though. . Redding 3-Die Set (.22 Creedmoor) Our full custom builds typically average between $4,500-$5,000. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. This leaves .22-250 Ackley Improved data as a viable starting point. This is the main reason we chose to perform this testing with large rifle magnum primers. CZ Model 550 American $550 New, properly-headstamped brass was ordered from Hornady and was used in all loads. This .54-inch group resulted from 35.5 grains of Alliant Reloder 16 beneath Hornadys 90-grain A-Tip at only 2,765 fps. var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; A 22 Creedmoor for deer will work as well as any 6mm or 6.5mm caliber, and sometimes even beter out at longer distances. As the trigger breaks, targets explode (observed against prairie dogs under ballistics testing as applied to his article). Referencing QuickLoad data for Bergers 85.5-grain Long Range Hybrid Target bullet (supplied by friends at Capstone Precision), comparing Alliant Reloder 26, Norma MRP and Vihtavuori N560 velocities to what Ive produced in the real world, Ive easily matched projected maximum velocities. Add two grains of powder and velocity increases to 3,400 fps. Please understand that the bullets and powders we chose to evaluate may not be the most popular among some shooters; however, our goal is to provide a wide spectrum of bullet weights and the powders used with them. Matt Smith, Forum Moderators What is the Best Role for the 22 Creedmoor? Here are five Cooper Creek options with Sierra and Berger bullets: In addition, multiple companies are now selling 22 Creedmoor cartridge brass: Alpha Munitions, Atlas ADG, Hornady, and Peterson Cartridge. There is an excellent write-up in the GunsAmerica Digest about the 22 Creedmoor cartridge. If you have any other specific questions just let me know. Hunting central South Dakota with my guides and mate Jim Smith and crew, a prime example of a 22 Creedmoor was taken afield after a summer of commutative target shooting indicated that the rifle was a sub-one half MOA shooter clearly capable of reaching out into the next zip code when sending bullets at song dogs that roamed the wide rolling prairies and deep cuts along the river bottoms. The 6.5 Creedmoor with 142 SMK and 17 barrel shot inside the 308 Winchester 175 SMK 22 barrel out to 1,000 yards. 4 Myths About The 22 Creedmoor Shot Down - HORIZON FIREARMS This leaves custom rifles, and for that I turned to Dale Hegstrom, owner of Little Crow Gunworks. If you want to see a visual take a look at the 22LR Bullet Trajectory Chart! IMR-4955 Enduron did its best work as loads approached maximum (an arbitrary term with this new cartridge), assembling a .39-inch group at 3,272 fps. The group measured .26 inch center-to-center. I have been thinking about rebarraling it to a 6 or 6.5 creedmoor to make a long range varmenter. Along with his reloading dies, he also produces reloading tools and custom rifles. I have a Remington VSSF chambered in 220 Swift that I am not impressed with the accuracy with (it's about 3/4) MOA, so not terrible but not real impressive either. Remington Core-Lokt Tipped 6.5 Creedmoor 129 Grain Centerfire Rifle There is a simple reason why. Will Chambers Accuracy was good but there was no speed with it. It's basically a measure of how streamlined the bullet is. It weighs 13.36 pounds with a Trijicon 4.5-30x 56mm AccuPower scope installed in 34mm Precision Hardcore Ranger Rings on a 20 MOA Tru Level Picatinny rail by the same maker. You heard that correctly. The accuracy and ballistics make it a highly versatile rifle on all of the varmints I come across, or call in (coyotes). Rifle: F4 Defense is a top-tier rifle manufacturer who specializes in semi-automatic rifles, specifically small fame AR10s. With the push for small caliber rifles to shoot heavier bullets, I realized that those shooters had the right idea, but were pushing bullets that were much too heavy for the average varmint hunter. Do not use the below loads in your rifle. ALL Bulletin content is copyrighted, 2023 AccurateShooter.com. On the first day of what I call a research and informational hunt, we went afield with the rifle. My groups varied from 0.95 down to 0.50 in ideal conditions. My god that rabbit (or hare) just exploded at the endtook a while for that chunk of flesh to fall back into the shot in slo-mo. 22, 6mm and 2 6.5s. The R17 gave me everything I was looking for and availability at the time was not an issue. Ive had a interesting go with my 22 creedmoor and the 88gr Hornady eldm. _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-6323545-2']); The 22 Creedmoor is basically a factory-developed wildcat round by Hornady. After the barrel was broken in a bit (following PROOF Researchs recommended procedure), that very load produced a .28-inch, 5-shot 100-yard group at 3,139 fps. Snipers Hide is a community of Snipers of all kinds, focusing on long range shooting, accuracy, and ballistics. TMKs shoot good in all rifles I've tried. These were all 6.5 Creedmoor match-grade ammo but the bullet weights ranged from 120 to 147 grains - so the . The first group is just touching the lands and then backed it off by .010 for each of the next 4 groups. Glen R. Shaffer This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. J Jfal Professional For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The only .224-inch bullet with a higher BC is Sierras 95-grain MatchKing with a .600 BC. Barrel thickness can play a couple of roles: the shorter, heavier barrels can benefit from rigidity, which can enhance accuracy, and in heat dissipation. Smith also made use of a factory load offered byCopper Creek Cartridge. 22 LR Muzzle Velocity: 22 long rifle muzzle velocity is the speed with which a bullet leaves the barrel measured in feet per second (FPS). Each of the below loads are over pressure. Starline 6mm Creedmoor Brass Large Primer, Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18x50mm (30mm tube), .17 Remington AR15 Project with Rockchuck and Thermal Coyote Hunts, The Mossberg 940 Pro Turkey Shotgun Perfect for Coyote Hunting, 2022 New Thermal and Night Vision Products from AGM Global Vision, Lithgow LA-101 Overview and Hunt Report 17HMR Series, Franklin Armory F17-L Review and Hunt Report, The New Steyr Arms Zephyr II Rimfire Rifle, Review of the Winchester 1885 Rifle in 17WSM with Hunt Report, Varminter Magazine Live Stream Q&A Rimfire Ammo 17WSM LF The Future of Varminter, ICOtec Game Callers New for 2023 Including Nightstalker+ and Rascal Bluetooth Game Call. We then took the same load and used standard large rifle primers instead. PDF Peterson Cartridge: 22 Creedmoor Load Data Also, please try our new extremely accurate loaded ammunition, which is available at https://www.grafs.com/. I run a 28in 7 twist barrel on mine. Smith selected a very open section of rolling hills to make the first call. We then fired both sets of 5 rounds and recorded the pressure and velocity for each round. Past experiences with Enduron powders mirror this experience, with groups often tightening as loads approach maximum. I need to get some better glass if I am going to reach out farther consistently. I expect terminal performance can only improve after boosting velocity 500 fps via the .22 Creedmoor. When you look at the typical powder choices for the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 6 Creedmoor, many loaders use H4350 (when they can find it in stock). 22 LR Bullet Weight: Weight of the bullet in grains, there are 7000 grains in one pound; the abbreviation for grains is gr. Also, the faster you push the bullets, in general, the shorter your barrel life will be. Lastly, some shooters on the internet forums report using our casings to push bullets to extraordinary velocities without any problem. So does having a higher FPS help when it comes to semi auto pistols and rifles? Patrick was curious to see if Hornadys 80-grain ELD Match might expand on smaller varmints. Again, these loads are just designed to give shooters information regarding what velocity a bullet and powder charge combination will produce given the SAAMI Maximum Average Pressure (MAP) of 62,000 psi. The advent of the 6mm Creedmoor immediately had folks necking the hornady 6mm down to 22 cal and upon doing so found virtually the perfect case capacity for heavy weight .224 bullets. Andy Moe 1 at 395 and the other around 475.. Although the Nosler and Valkyrie, shooting 55-60 grain projectiles, have a decent following with the predator hunting crowd, running the ballistics on the .22 Creedmoor and a slightly heavier bullet showed that it would outperform the two with both speed and energy. Every single kill was the result of devastating destruction that was an instantaneous death, or as close as you could get to one. 22 Creedmoor may not be useful for PRS since velocity is limited at a maximum of 3200 fps, and most guys using 6mm are using heavier bullets and still getting around 3050-3100 fps. Similarly, choosing bullets with thicker jackets will also help prevent disintegration during flight. It will make a great rockchuck and predator combo. I could not argue with his logic. Hunting the White River country in central South Dakota presents its own set of problems in terms of locating coyotes that are in gunning range. Whether the .22 CM will ever go mainstream, I cannot guess, though the Creedmoor name does seem to carry considerable sway. Any help would be appreciated, and I know pressures from rifle to rifle vary. The best A-Tip group, a .38-inch one-holer, resulted from 40.5 grains of IMR-4828ssc at 2,926 fps (23-fps extreme velocity spread). Patricks .22 Creedmoor was built by Little Crow Gunworks on a Remington 700 action using a PROOF Research barrel and Stockys AccuBlock EuroMatch adjustable cheekpiece laminated stock. . Will Chambers Relatively slow-burning powders were chosen to accommodate the .22 Creedmoors overbore dynamics, leaning heavily on temperature stable formulas and/or those with de-coppering agents when possible. LEARN MORE about the 22 Creedmoor This .39-inch, five-shot 100-yard group resulted from 41 grains of IMR-4955 Enduron powder beneath a Hornady 80-grain ELD Match bullet. Terry Fauth (left) and JimSmith called and dropped this coyote at 1,017 yards with Smith's custom 22 Creedmoor during bullet testing in central South Dakota. 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; Shooting heavier bullets at more reasonable velocities also calms some barrel-burning qualms. I was recently advised that the first Savage 110s in 224 Valkyrie are almost at my door, so I can see a day when we will have a factory-built option in the 22 Creedmoor. Shot 2 antelope with my 77gr TMK load last fall. At our 22 Creedmoor muzzle velocity of 3550fps the Hornady 75gr ELD-M bullets produces around 2099 ft.lbs of energy, taking it close to medium 6mm bullets or light 308 Winchester rounds. 22 Creedmoor Load Data Since its' inception, in 2007 by Hornady, the 6.5 Creedmoor has seen some pretty meteoric growth in popularity. feature By: Patrick Meitin | February, 21. Founded by Frank Galli in 2000, Snipers Hide has been offering informational videos, podcasts, and other support to its users in one location. Timothy Mancillas, Contributing/Guest Writers Yes sir. I also loaded some 95 smks with H4831sc and H1000. I had also discovered the .22-250 Ackley Improved closely mirrors the .22 Creedmoor (CM) dimensionally. I cant confirm that, but it was continually going up in pressure. the .221 Fireball, the 22 Creedmoor, the .22 PPC, the .222 Remington Magnum, the .223 WSSM, the .224 Valkyrie, and the .224 Weatherby Magnum. The Satterlee Arms builds are ultra-high-performance rifles. The 220 Swift certainly has the speed at muzzle velocity, but once you're shooting out past 400-500 yards, the 22 Creedmoor quickly outshines the competition in each category we looked at. The Effects of Barrel Length on Your Rifle You may not reproduce original text or photos without advanced permission in writing. In fact, I was planning my own build at the time, using a Howa 1500 donor rifle, so I understood the want for this dynamic cartridge, in a bolt-action rifle! GunsAmerica tester Jeff Cramblit favors the 22 Creedmoor as a varmint round: The performance of the 22 Creedmoor with 75-80 grain bullets makes it an outstanding varmint cartridge. Many of the loads listed here were established by extrapolating .250 AI loads, with Rob Behr (formally of Western Powders) and the guys at Capstone Precision (Lapua/Berger/Vihtavuori) also running some QuickLoad software for me. You must log in or register to reply here. I have been thinking about rebarraling it to a 6 or 6.5 creedmoor to make a long range varmenter. It took three years to see the first factory offered turn-bolt Valkyrie. Good luck with the rifle. I started with 77-grain bullets and went to 90, where I entered ballistic-coefficients normally found in heavier 6mm bullets. Fireformed Remington .22-250 AI brass holds 50.5 grains of water and a new Hornady .22 CM case 51.0 grains. The bullet weight of Remington Golden Bullet Ammunition is 36 grains; therefore its bullet weight is .08 ounces. This cartridge is not much different than the 85 year old 220 swift. One of the benefits of a cartridge being standardized by SAAMI is that manufacturers who publish loading manuals will begin publishing load data for the new cartridge. On the fresh snow, it was easy to observe them zig zagging along, but always heading at an angle toward Smiths call. The 105-115 gr bullets they favor make it easier to see their impacts at long range. Along with more than 25 other calibers, Peterson Cartridge now offers casings in 6.5 Creedmoor, 6 Creedmoor, .25 Creedmoor, and .22 Creedmoor. Is the KEL TEC SUB-2000 California legal. Its owner and shooter, Jim Smith, knew the rifle like the back of his hand, and when theWar of the Dogsstarted, it showed in spades. 22 Creedmoor :: Primal Rights, Inc Reloder 26 is the clear winner here, providing both consistent accuracy, low extreme velocity spreads and top velocities. When taking a look at this new cartridge, its dead simple to handload and tends to outstretch the .22 Swift when ballistic comparisons are made. A full case of h1000 was around 3350 i believe and i think that was around 46grs. I didn't have enough room in my case to get what I wanted out of it as far as accuracy and low sd/es. Warne 30mm Rings, Suppressor: Call our experts: (727) 223-1816 or visit support.mcarbo.com, Our 22LR ammo ballistics chart will give you the bullet ballistic coefficient, muzzle energy, muzzle velocity and bullet drop of 27 different .22LR rimfire cartridges. While this certainly can be used for PRS and tactical competition, the 22 Creedmoor seems to be ideally suited as a high velocity varmint round something to replace the 22-250. Hello all, I am currently building my first 22 Creedmoor and plan on shooting the 88gr ELD-M from Hornady. The cheetah might have a bit more horsepower depending on who's loading it, but the 22CM is an easy button in comparison. [In this LOAD DATA Document] you will find four (4) common bullets, and four (4) common rifle powders used when handloading the .22 Creedmoor cartridge. Matt Smith, Photography & Videography: Price for a 22 Creedmoor build really depends on components selected. The system feeds well and allows for faster unloading. It includes a .524 BC and accuracy-enhancing construction. I ran this brass through Hornadys Custom Grade full-length dies, uniformed necks on my old Lyman Universal trimmer and chamfered each mouth on Hornadys Lock-N-Load Case-Prep Trio. In addition to the 6.5 and 6mm Creedmoor cartridges, now there's a new Creedmoor on the block, the .22 Creedmoor. In particular, their 77 Gr SMK, 80 Gr SMK, 90 Gr SMK, and 95 Gr SMK are great. _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', '.accurateshooter.com']); The .22 Creedmoor (and this rifle especially) is a definite winner. H4350 is my go to powder on all 4 of my creedmoor. So, we took the time to do a little testing to show the difference using a magnum primer can make compared to a standard primer when shooting .22 Creedmoor. Every spring, he invites me over to his place to do some rockchuck management. Cliff T You are using an out of date browser. I have not grouped past 1,000 with that rifle yet though. I've got a 22-250 AI that I'll be working with soon, as well as my dad's 22 Creed he just had built. Winchester StaBALL 6.5 didnt shine until reaching a 40-grain maximum load, printing .36 inch at 3,244 fps. . 22-250 vs 223 vs 204 Ruger vs 220 Swift: Clash Of The Speed Demons I wanted to stay in the 75- 80 range since I will only use that rifle for coyote hunting and casual steel shooting inside of 1,000. This yields high velocities that provide explosive impacts on small varmints. Copper Creek also offers load development packs with either Alpha or Hornady brass. Sierras 77-grain Tipped MatchKing (.420 BC) is a design Ive come to depend on for long-range varmint shooting. Hang time from muzzle to target is very short. Hailing from Central Idaho, Cache has been a predator caller for over 20 years.He is a frequent participant in Coyote calling contests across the Northwestern States.His knowledge of predator habits and the tools needed to hunt them is the reason why we now have him writing for Varminter Magazine. Overall, none gave me the accuracy, velocity and lower pressures I was looking for. The newest introduction to the lineup is a 90-grain, .22-caliber bullet with an astounding .585 BC and the highest that will reliably stabilize in a 1:7 twist.
Greensboro Grasshoppers Front Office, Articles OTHER